Author Topic: Copper State models 1/48 Etrich A.II Taube  (Read 4435 times)

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: Copper State models 1/48 Etrich A.II Taube
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 04:48:36 PM »
Hello All.

Just a quick written update. I've now begun sawing, cutting and sanding (suitably masked) the resin. Photos will follow in due course, if Flickr behaves itself!  However, the main thing I wanted to note here is the fantastic support I've received from Ilya Sobolev, one of the co-owners of Copper State Models Ltd, who has responded to my questions very quickly and in detail. This, and the support from fellow forum members here really encourages me to continue this project.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 09:10:42 PM »
Glad you are hard at it, Nigel.  I look forward to the
first pictures of construction, beyond the cleaning.
Enjoy the build, my friend!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline andyw

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 09:13:59 PM »
Can't wait to see the photos

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 12:49:02 AM »
I also am looking forward to the photos. Enjoy the build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 01:20:48 AM »
Ilya's a great guy, Nigel.  You did good checking in with him.  Copper State's in good hands.
I, too, am looking forward to the photos.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 02:48:38 AM »
   The Taube is a mighty challenging subject at best, Nigel, but a Resin Kit as well?! I'm looking forward to following your progress on this project and hope to learn from your efforts. With your skills this should prove to be a real jewel! 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 02:08:44 AM »
Thank you all for your support, kind words and encouragement. It's time for just a quick update to let you know that I haven't been slacking! I must also thank again, Ilya Sobolev, one of the new co-owners of Copper State Models for his superb help where that has been possible. He also warned me that on some of the older CSM offerings, like this one, there were sometimes significant problems of resin mould alignment. Yes. 

As you’ll see from the first photo, I’ve attached the horizontal tail surfaces and begun to scratch build the undercarriage and the rigging tower, measuring as precisely as possible from the profile and elevation drawings in the kit. I used graph paper to ensure that parts were joined accurately. Also notice that the nose just had to come off. Why? The succeeding photo shows a cross-section of the back end of what I removed and the awful extent of the asymmetry that would have to be corrected; unless the Taube really was built like that!

IMG_1053 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

IMG_1056 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

The solution for me was to build up a new nose from layers of thick plastic sheet and then insert three metal pins to keep things in place whilst I subjected it to some heavy duty sanding once attached.

IMG_1055 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

Here it is in place and I’ve used strip styrene to begin the process of replacing the external frame.

IMG_1064 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

From this angle you’ll notice the copious amount of good old Milliput I had to use to introduce some symmetry to the rest of the fuselage. This mattered because all my careful undercarriage measuring and construction counted for nought when I dry-fitted the parts I'd made.

IMG_1063 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

Now all of this early work has proved a greater challenge than had been expected and so to try and retain some sanity I’ve been moonlighting on another project. Surely even all you lozenge, iron cross and fancy paint scheme nuts will recognise and fear the lower wing outline of a truly great aircraft?

IMG_1066 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

But back to the Taube and more mould misalignment. The picture might not be very good, but how am I to cope with the misalignment of the engine? Check out the front end rather than Ena’s delicately manicured nails. Looks like it’s the bin then and I’ll have to figure out how to build one from scratch. But with no lathe to use, how I’ll manage the cylinders remains to be seen.

IMG_1061 by nigeljjackson, on Flickr

By the way, if any of the photos appear stretched wide, my apologies. Windows 10 and my HP monitor are talking but not necessarily sharing an entirely common language yet. I await the updates.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 02:38:55 AM »
Nigel,
Excellent progress my old friend. Great solution to nose,looking right to me now. Looking forward to your next update.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

PS: One quick question.From my monitor I can't tell if your SE-5a is resin or light colored plastic,which is it?
" What Me Worry"

Offline radio

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 03:58:23 AM »
Outstanding update, Nigel.
Martin

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 05:16:31 AM »
Thank you so much Gregory and Martin. Your kind words mean a lot to me.

Gregory, there's no fooling you - it is an SE5a. Except that it is the WNW 1/32 scale offering, with the lower wing undercoated in white. This is the aircraft which I started so clumsily, but have managed to resurrect with the help and advice of forum friends.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2015, 06:53:40 AM »
Good show Nigel my old friend. Looking forward to follow both threads.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2015, 08:06:05 AM »
You are making excellent progress Nigel on what appears to be a nightmare of a kit, the alterations and scratch building you have done certainly have corrected any issues.
Onwards and upwards Nigel, I look forward to your next update.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2015, 11:33:04 AM »
The alignment issues have certainly been a challenge you met and conquered! Terrific work! I am also looking forward to more of the SE5a!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2015, 03:26:27 PM »
i have a few csm kits as well as had a few others i sold and better than half of the ones i have seen have had major alignment issues. which was always a terrible tragedy because they had some really nice subjects. hopefully the new copper state will eventually re-make all the old kits like the taube but do them correctly, whomever was casting for the old copper state was either ill experienced,ill equipped or simply did not car if the castings were mis aligned. i know a guy like that, he taught me basic casting techniques but i have surpassed the teacher now. he thinks in the old way figures people will pay high prices for an oddity whether its good quality or not. and he does

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2015, 02:55:46 AM »
Nigel, I'm so delighted to see another Copper State model being built.  As Scott has pointed out, the subject matter of these kits are wonderful and unique and although the early kits are hit and miss, alignment wise, the new generation of CSM are beautifully cast with no alignment issues at all.  When Ilya and his crew get around to redoing the Taube, I know it will be spectacular with all the struts included and a new engine.  I've been lucky with all of my early Copper State kits except for the Rumpler C.I, which I discarded in favor of the Planet kit, and the W.12, which I replaced with a newer one.  All the rest are superb, especially the new Salmson-Moineau SM.1.  Can't wait to dig into that one.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence