Author Topic: 3D printer by Dremel  (Read 1200 times)

Offline RAGIII

3D printer by Dremel
« on: December 26, 2014, 05:51:24 PM »
Saw this on Facebook. Not sure if is New to this group or not. Probably wouldn't be of much use to me but someone like Bo.... 8)
RAGIII

https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/safe_image.php?d=AQDTu6zZnpievIGY&w=470&h=246&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmakezineblog.files.wordpress.com%2F2014%2F09%2Fmake_magazine_dremel_2220.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1

Well my link only got the photo. I will try again later for the rest of the info.

"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: 3D printer by Dremel
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 05:59:17 PM »
Depending on the quality of the print would determine if it is any good for our hobby, a little pricey though. Sale price and postage costs are in Australian dollars.

Des.

Click picture for larger image.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 08:02:59 AM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 06:57:31 PM »
Haven't seen this one, but I've been looking at other 1st gen machines (like Reprap) not for making model parts (still a ways off) -- but for making tools and jigs etc... Micromark has a Reprap clone for about $800

Offline zavod44

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 12:25:10 AM »
All I can say is when it comes to these machines you get what you pay for.  The machines that are in the $1800-$3000 range are not really good for model parts on the kind of things we do. As Bo said maybe for fixtures and things...it might be acceptable???? Maybe?  The machines that go for $100,000+ make nice parts that could be used.  The only machine that I have seen that might, and it's a big might is the Formlabs 1 machine.  It's around $3000.  We had one and it worked okay in the beginning, then it totally stopped working properly.   Now for another $1200 they are going to refurbish it and supposedly make it so we can use it again.  I really don't feel the technology is there yet for the really fine things we do.  However they are always getting better.  But they are still relatively expensive and the resolution is not great on the lower end machines that most people could afford. 

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 07:51:13 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. I did notice reading the comments( Still haven't figured out how to get it all here) that the Dremel was developed from a machine called the Dreamer or something similar. The Dremel version is $999.00 US, and has only part of the originals capacity and capability. So the only thing really positive would be that it is a step in making an "Affordable" 3D printer available by a big name Manufacturer that will be able to be purchased in a Hardware store  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler