Author Topic: Which literature on Fokker D.VII recommended?  (Read 1217 times)

Offline rhwinter

Which literature on Fokker D.VII recommended?
« on: November 30, 2014, 04:17:52 AM »
Hi all,
I seriously plan to buy WnW's Fokker D.VII (OAW) and F. Guess I will make them into post armistice Versions in USAS hands, like this F here http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/9th_Aero_Squadron_-_Fokker_D.VII.jpg. The OAW as WnW's "U10" or perhaps this one http://forum.keypublishing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=205048&stc=1&d=1335547490 in French hands.
Now I am looking for literature! And as I don't want to buy ALL the publications about the Fokker D.VII that exist, I ask you for your recommendations, please!
Thank you!
Richard

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Which literature on Fokker D.VII recommended?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 05:50:31 AM »
Not much to add to Justin's recommendations. The absolute ultimate reference imo as to how the airplane was constructed are the Replicraft plans by Jim Kiger. But they are both expensive and in a not very handy format -- huge 1/5 drawings. However armed with that and the Kagero book you will be able to understand virtually every single detail of how it was put together. But as Justin suggested -- that's only for crazies like me who care about such things.

The "Building the WNW Fokker D.VII" has a lot of useful photos and some good heads up for basic detailing of the kit -- if you were going buy one book, I think I would suggest that one. Next would be Vol 1 of the anthology as it mostly covers Fokker built machines, which covers the D.VIIF by definition.

A promised Vol. 4 covering machines in postwar and foreign service is promised but has yet to materialize...

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 06:27:34 AM »
I agree with both Justin  and Bo.  Really depends on what you're looking for.  I will only add that if you want to know what type of lozenge and it's application and the distinction between OAW, Fokker and Albatros variants, the Anthology is very helpful.  For detailing, you can't beat the Kagero book. 
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 07:39:44 AM »
I'd echo the thoughts of the others, as well as suggest perhaps the Fokker Team Schorndorf publication as well, though I'm admittedly somewhat of a D.VII nut, so I like them all.
Kevin

(30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!)

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 12:29:06 AM »
Hi all,

thank you very much for all your suggestions and recommendations: Very much appreciated!
I finally ordered WnW's Fokker D.VII (OAW) today and Windsock's Fokker D.VII-anthology Vol.2. too.
Kagero's "..lethal weapon" seems to be sold out - or has anbody seen it somewhere recently?

Richard

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 01:15:00 AM »

Yeah the kagero D.VII book is long sold out, but keep your eyes peeled, it comes up from time to time.

Maybe not too late to join in the Group Build  ;)

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 01:55:36 AM »

Weeeeeell, Bo... I usually buy my models, but didn't actually build one in years!

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 12:20:22 PM »

Yeah the kagero D.VII book is long sold out, but keep your eyes peeled, it comes up from time to time.

Very cool book, and that, along with the similar title on the Dr.I, certainly whetted my appetite for more.
Kevin

(30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!)