Author Topic: Size comparison  (Read 1410 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Size comparison
« on: May 13, 2014, 04:08:25 PM »
What a great photo, I didn’t even see the 737 at first glance.
And the Airbus is farther away!!
How is this for a size comparison? Somewhat startling.
This shows an Airbus A380 and a Boeing B737 flying parallel approaches into LAX (Los Angeles, California)
This is a genuine photo.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Dekenba

Re: Size comparison
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 06:10:30 PM »
I don't think that is genuine. No way would flight paths be that close.

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 06:25:43 PM »
................ I really wondered where you were going with this for a minute (phew) being 5'3" an all!  ::)

PS ................ I'm not so convinced either - perhaps an overlay of the two aircraft at different times? And the photo' is stamped "Creative" aviation photography?

Never the less ... it's one of those "Oh my" moments.
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 06:31:52 PM »
I have flown into LAX quite a few times and on most occasions two aircraft are landing side by side on parallel runways, a very spectacular sight when sitting at a window seat and watching another aircraft beside you, they are not as close as what the photo suggests, it just looks that way, the A.380 is a bloody big aeroplane.

Des.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 06:37:02 PM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IvotB

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 08:54:31 PM »
There are more airports were this could happen. Nice picture. Now imagine a Fokker D.VII or Albatros in front of the 737.

regards,
Ivo

Dekenba

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 09:18:18 PM »
The 737-700 is around 34m long, the A380 72m long. So the A380 is roughly just over twice as long as the 737.

If there is a gap between the planes - and you'd assume it would be a very substantial gap - , then the 737 would obviously be closer to the camera and hence would look bigger in comparison. However, the A380 looks almost exactly 2 and a bit times as long as the 737. How can that be when the 737 is closer to the camera?

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 01:03:08 AM »
The only 380 problems in YYZ are taxiway restrictions, ramp taxi restrictions, gate restrictions and trying to get thru customs AFTER the Emirates 380 gets on the gate - restrictions......other than that its just a big airplane....... a big f-ing airplane........oh and when the rampies marshal it onto the wrong line and the bridge smacks an engine..thats a restriction too because the next day they bring ANOTHER one in to take out the cancelled departure....then you get to deal with 2 380's. Google A380 hits RJ and you get the idea...

Steve

Offline IanB

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 11:32:10 PM »
My guess would be that the photographer photograped both aircraft within minutes of each other,  then superimposed the 737.  However, the LAX runways are only 700' and 800' apart so it's possible as once a crew states that they have the other aircraft in sight, responsibility for separation is passed to them.
 Having said that, I seriously doubt that any crew would want to get that close to a super-heavy in landing configuration, with the associated turbulance and severe wind-shear possibilies.
 So, it's possible, but I'm a little skeptical.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/tech_ops/read.main/230746/

Ian
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 11:59:30 PM by IanB »