Author Topic: How many things are wrong in this picture?  (Read 1659 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: How many things are wrong in this picture?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 01:38:09 PM »
Bob,
   We must have been brought up in similar circumstances with the same core values. I took a small paper route in our small town (Digby Nova Scotia, Canada, the scallop capital of the world!) to support my hobby and then quickly "annexed" the other two town routes thus having a monopoly on the paper delivery business in town but, critical, having an income to support a very big enthusiasm for model airplanes! That was at least as far back as 1956-7 and life was good! I well recall the arrival at the local variety store (the center of my universe) of the "NEW" Monogram Kits, the first being a yellow plastic T-28 with retractable gear! I can't recall the second, but I'm sure I bought it.
   Some things never change, the only paint available was Pactra "Namel", and the yellow was impossible! The odd bottle of Testors that showed up on the shelves was immediately gone!
Cheers, ;)
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 12:10:51 AM »
Ah yes, "Whip-Flying" -- I remember doing this to a few kits, but I didn't realize it had a sanctioned name... Funny, the ad copy doesn't mention soaking the model in lighter fluid and lighting it first... Certainly the most important step...

Offline mgunns

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 01:16:15 AM »
Greetings all:

Lance, Bob, BO and the rest, I too grew up in the 50's and was in High School in the 60's.  I too had a paper route to support the  modeling habit.  As I progressed I worked grave yard as an orderly in an old folks home in Minneapolis.  My buddy and I worked the same shift.  After payday, we would take his Suzuki 60, (I believe it was 60 cc's) to the hobby shop, buy kits, go to my house and sit in the basement and build the Aurora WW1 kits all the while listening to "The Doors" "Cryin Shames" "Animals" etc. on the stereo.  I remember as a kid thinking the Aurora Mig looked awfully strange, but then it was "Russian" and they were odd anyway.  Very dramatic Box Art indeed.  Great memories.  The Aurora Fokker DVII always intrigued me as it showed the pilot in the throes of death.  They used that box art right up until they went to the White box.  That Aurora Fokker DVII was one of the earliest models I built.  I think my first kit was a Comet F9F Cougar.  My dad helped with the top wing on the Fokker, but I remember building most of it, and then on the rest of the collection.  In my stash now I have most of the Aurora WW1 kits just for the memories.  It's amazing, I can pick one of these up, look at the plastic and be transported back to those halcyon days of mispent youth!
Anyway, I digress.  Great Memories.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....