Author Topic: Taurus 1/32nd Merc DIIIa Timing gear issue  (Read 1563 times)

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
Taurus 1/32nd Merc DIIIa Timing gear issue
« on: February 09, 2013, 10:51:13 PM »
Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone else ha this issue with the otherwise excelent Taurus timing gear set. I'm happy to believe I've a rogue set and what needs amnding is relatively easy. 
I just want to verify no one else has this issue. When I aligned the main timing box assembly I noticed it didnt line up with the springs, now checking it against WNW's it appears over 1mm too long.  This of course pushed the boxes gradually further and further forwards over its length. See the pic below, Taurus Item is on the top, WNW's below.

I've not heard of any one having this issue though so I'm guessing its just mine. Not a showstopper by any means of course.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline IvotB

Re: Taurus 1/32nd Merc DIIIa Timing gear issue
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 04:54:42 AM »
Keith,

No it's not just your problem. I have noticed it too on my set from Taurus. What I did is that I did place it without any changes on top of the WNW D.III engine, but the gear house at the back of the engine with the shaft driving it from below from the crank axle is a little bit pushed to the back. Not more than 0,5mm I guess but I can measure it more exact if you like. It also means exactly what you expect. The front rocker box is therefore closer to the valves (in the length of the cam shaft) than at the back. In the end it is almost completely camouflaged by the rocker arms which you abolutely must install parallel to the front of the rocker boxes, when looking at it from the top. If you look carefully at the pictures in my thread for the LVA Fokker D.VII you will notice this if you look carefully.

Is is a known problem when producing resin parts. Resin shrinks a little bit after pooring the liquid resin in the mould when it cools down. A kit producer explained to me that they do take this quality of resin production into account, but it is difficult to get it exactly right. It means that your master model, with which you make the first mould, should be a tiny bit larger than the product you want to make afterwards. Small items will never show this problem.

I hope you understand my perhaps somewhat cryptic descriptions.

regards,
Ivo

Offline kornbeef

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 07:18:13 AM »
Thanks Ivo I understand totally. It's not difficult to fix really, just a little bit of annoyance, still compared to the injection parts well worth the extra work.  Thanks for taking the time to explain. Much appreciated.

Keith

Offline IvotB

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 09:26:31 AM »

This pictures shows the entire problem. You can see now the gap in the back (about 0,4mm, measured today). Ypu can see that the rocker arms on the back cylinder is spot on and you can see how far it isn't anymore in on the front cylinder.

Of course - Red Baron - you could cut each section, but I think the 5 saw cuts would leave a too large gap. Furthermore the entire set up would become very wiggly, as the axle doesn't sit on top, but every rocker box sits with two points (seen at the back of every valve spring) on the cylinder assembly. Chances are that it will be difficult to get it straight again.

regards,
Ivo

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 12:31:44 PM »
Just a little disappointing, I had thought these A/M bits were the "be all and end all". It appears from the side view photo that perhaps two cuts might remedy the problem. I'd try one behind the third cylinder from the right (rear) and another behind the fifth and I'd bet the spacing problem would be eliminated. Are there any other "catches" with the Taurus sets? (I plan on ordering at least one set each of plugs, lifters, and hex. exhaust washers imminently.
Cheers,
Lance :o

Offline kornbeef

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 07:18:03 PM »
Surgery complete

cut between  (from the rear) cyl 2-3,  4-5 & 5-6 the gap at the 5-5 cylinder seemed larger than the others.

I drilled and pinned the sepreate parts together as I went  dry fitted everything seems closer now, maybe a little over done Doh!
 ::) :D

Keith

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 09:41:52 PM »
Surgery complete

cut between  (from the rear) cyl 2-3,  4-5 & 5-6 the gap at the 5-5 cylinder seemed larger than the others.

I drilled and pinned the sepreate parts together as I went  dry fitted everything seems closer now, maybe a little over done Doh!
 ::) :D

Keith

Photos pls  :)

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 03:40:27 AM »
I can now "happily" report that this problem is also valid for the DIII Timing gear as well (the one where valves and rockers are in the middle of the rocker boxes, for the 160hp engine).

Stefan