Author Topic: LVA Fokker D.VIIF 1921 -1936 Revell 1:72  (Read 2223 times)

Offline IvotB

LVA Fokker D.VIIF 1921 -1936 Revell 1:72
« on: April 18, 2013, 07:59:57 AM »
In my topic on the LVA Fokker D.VII WNW you might have spotted this little plane. It was sitting in my stash already for a number of years and I decided to build this one next to the WNW Fokker.

This version flew between 1921 and 1936 with the LVA in the Netherlands, as far as I know operated from the airfield Soesterberg, the first airfield in the Netherlands

This versions shows the bare metal engine cowlings and was fitted with the BMW engine.

It is quite a basic model, with no cockpit detail at all. Also the engine cam shaft with rocker boxes is extremely basic. I have build this one out of the box and could spray paint this one at the same time as the WNW Fokker. I tried to draw some laminations on the propellor to improve it a little. I added the minimal rigging wit EZ line on the landing gear and on the elevator.

All in all a nice addition to my collection of LVA and KLu aircraft.

regards,
Ivo

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 12:37:11 AM by IvotB »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: LVA Fokker D.VIIF 1921 -1936 Revell 1:72
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 09:00:05 AM »
What a little beauty, Ivo!  I love the LVA markings.  Rare to see on the forums, the orange discs being far more common.  Brilliantly finished and the prop is brilliant, especially in this scale.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 10:02:41 AM »
Nice build of a classic. Always liked that one!!

Steve

Offline IvotB

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 05:20:30 AM »
Just to give you a glimpse of the history and showing one of the nice things about modelling:

60 years of fighters in the LVA, RAF and KLu.

LVA had more figthers than these, but these can be regarded as the fighter development where the next plane was the successor of the former.

It started in 1916 with the Fokker D.III (missing in this line up and in my stash)
Then the Fokker D.VII after which came the Fokker D.XVI (and D.XVII) At the end of the thirties the last in this line is the Fokker D.XXI. In between the orange discs had been replaced by the three colored version with the orange dot in the centre, but in 1939 it was replaced by an orange triangle.

Then in 1940 the LVA was disbanded and some pilots took their refuge to the UK and joined the RAF. In the forties the RAF 322 Squadron was assigned as a 'dutch' unit. They flew with several mk's of Spitfires. Here you see a Mk XIVc in 1944 with an orange triangle below the windscreen. After the war 322 squadron flew with Spitfire LF MK IXc with clipped wings and several types of rudders.

After the war in the KLu (Koninklijke Luchtmacht or RNLAF) one of the fighter squadrons still was numbered 322 and exists still today, flying with F16.

So after the Spitfire the jets came and in the pure fighter role there is this quartet of 322 squadron

First there were the Meteors F4, T7 and F8 (this is an F8), followed by the Hawker Hunter Mk4 and Mk6 (this is a Mk4). Then the F104G Starfighter was introduced, which was used until the eighties and then replaced by the F16. Now there is an ongoing discussion about the next airplane. The Netherlands has joined somehow the F35 JSF programme and has bought 2 prototypes, but as the KLu clearly wants the JSF, politics is still considering the Saab Gripen. But that has got nothing to do with WW1 aircraft, so it's off-topic here.

When finding these planes on the attic I stumbled over some biplanes too that have been build by me in the seventies (I guess around the age of 14). All Airfix as far as I remember. I even tried some rigging with sewing silk from my mother.

Fokker D.VII, AVRO 504, Sopwith Pup and Bristol Bulldog.

These have been hanging from the ceiling in my bedroom for several years and are the remainders of at least 6 house moves.

At that time I brushed all paint (I probably hadn't heard of an airbrush) and there were almost no decals for dutch planes. So I did most of it with masking tape trying to realise cockardes and registration numbers.

Also an Airfix model. There are a number of Hasegawa 104's waiting to be build in my stash.

regards,
Ivo
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 12:40:18 AM by IvotB »

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 06:30:41 AM »
  Ivo,
What a outstanding little gen your Fokker D.VII is my friend. Beautiful collection of Dutch aircraft as well. I hope we will see that lovely little Fokker XVI before too long.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 07:14:58 AM »
Nice Dutch hangar!!

Steve

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 08:53:01 AM »
Nice Dutch hangar!!

What he said!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 12:41:34 PM »
    Excellent looking lineup, Ivo, a trip down memory lane I'm sure. I can understand your leaning towards models of your own Countries Air Forces, I tend to do that myself by building aircraft flown by Canadians in the RFC/RAF and the RNAS.
I had a bit of a nostalgic moment reading your Post; I recall (in the 1950's) doing fighters in Canadian Markings with either my own Maple Leaf Roundels added  :(or using the "treasured" few leftovers from the very occasional Canadian Set.) Simpler times and great memories. Thanks for posting your "lineup"!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline IvotB

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 01:23:09 AM »
I hope we will see that lovely little Fokker XVI before too long.

I could do that, but the D.XVI was build in 1929. So it is not really a ww1 subject. It is interesting to see the biplane development at Fokker, but as I said it is not ww1, so a little bit out of scope at this forum.

It is an easy kit and a challenging one as it consists of a number of resin parts. All cabane struts, wing struts and landing gear struts are not included but should be scratch build from styrene strips. I am not sure if that will be strong enough and perhaps I should make those of brass strips instead.

It's up to you, Gregory, to decide if is allowed here. You are the moderator  :)

regards,
Ivo

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 02:58:56 AM »
  Ivo,
You're right about thee Fokker being out of the forum focus my friend. However if you were to build the kit at some point you certainly could post in Time to Relax section where there are several off topic projects posted.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"