Author Topic: Roden 1:32 Siemens Schuckert Werke D.III  (Read 3385 times)

Offline FlorinM

Roden 1:32 Siemens Schuckert Werke D.III
« on: June 03, 2012, 02:46:27 PM »
Finally! I have found the time to actually post something, my build of Ernst Udet's bird. Compact in size and round, it kind of reminds of the Focke Wulf 190. The kit has some minor flaws, but is a good base for improvement.
There will be some scratch-building in the cockpit area and  I'll hand-paint the "LO". The color I have chosen will be cochineal red.

Offline FlorinM

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 02:55:48 PM »
This thing is small, even when compared to its contemporaries, such as an Albatros D.V.
My solution to the "trench" panel lines of this kit was to sand the fuselage down with coarse sandpaper.
I'm in the process of realigning the handles to their correct position.

Offline Whiteknuckles

Re: Roden 1:32 Siemens Schuckert Werke D.III
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 04:31:03 PM »
Hi Florin, that is small and colour will certainly be striking!!
Looking forward to your build progress.

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 05:16:52 PM »
That is a very very interesting build, I look forward to seeing it grow!
I also need to know about the quality of larger scale Roden kits, my Albie W4 in 72 was not so satisfying...
because of lack of registration points (pins and holes) to help the mounting of wings and struts.

Ciao

Antonio

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 07:14:48 PM »
This one looks as though it will be good, very small indeed, good luck.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline FlorinM

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 07:44:11 PM »
I also need to know about the quality of larger scale Roden kits, my Albie W4 in 72 was not so satisfying...
because of lack of registration points (pins and holes) to help the mounting of wings and struts.

The quality of the Roden kits  is (to me at least) a hit and miss thing. But with some work they turn out great. Strictly speaking of Great War kits, I have had both the Eduard and Roden kits for the Fokker D. VII(Fok). Though the plastic is comparable, in some areas the Roden kit was better researched and detailed than Eduard's. With regard to the SSW, the engraving was very deep and wide, there were panel lines that shouldn't have been there, some holes do need to be drilled, the plastic is soft and has sink marks here and there, but nothing too serious. The cockpit is oversimplified, with no decals for the instruments, and no seatbelts. The lozenge decals' colors are not quite right... But the shape is good, it overlaps the plans. It has no serious issues. And that is a good starting point.  All in all, I'd say that it is slightly better than a limited run kit.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 10:38:08 PM »
Thanks for the precise analysis, I think it's _very_ useful.

Antonio

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 01:43:21 AM »
  Florin,
Outstanding first progress my friend. I love that Red too,should make for one high visibility SSW D.III when complete. I have the same kit and someday I'd love to do this kit justice so I'll be following your lead here and taking a few notes along the way.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Fathom

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 09:36:35 AM »
I like the reply about starting to deal with the exagerated panel line by sanding the fusalage with coarse sand paper to start. Easier than trying to fill the grooves with CA glue. There shall still need to be a lot of rescribing. It was a great plane and deserves the extra effort. Roden have made a great kit. It's going to be sweet when I'm finished, wood skin and that exotic engine.
Fathom

Offline FlorinM

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 02:33:38 PM »
I've made some progress on the grab openings. The things are too shallow, so they need to be deepened a little. A new handle was made from .010 sheet styrene (this is the thinnest that I've got).