Author Topic: Luftschiffmotorboot 1/144  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Dirigible-Al

Re: Luftschiffmotorboot 1/144
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2024, 11:51:34 PM »
Not the most exciting thing but I thought I would show the base. Insulating foam was cut and sanded to shape. I then scrunched up some baking foil and stretched it very the foam. This was covered in white glue and green painted on the high parts and blue on the low ones. Next I put Many layers of varnish with a tiny drop of darker blue mixed in with the intention of giving it depth.  The raised parts will have cotton wool glued to them to resemble foam but I cannot do this until the boat is glued into it.
Thanks for looking in, Alan.

NB: pictures are in the wrong chronological order.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 04:39:35 PM by Dirigible-Al »
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2024, 07:23:04 AM »
I have never tried doing water other than a puddle on an armor diorama. I look forward to seeing your results!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2024, 11:54:45 AM »
Tinfoil for water...what a clever idea! It looks great!
Zac in NZ

Online AngryJazz

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2024, 04:54:56 PM »
Well done on the project! Base looks like a fun project too! The waves came out very nice  :)
//Ben

Offline NigelR

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2024, 06:36:12 PM »
Nice work on the base. I've always been tempted by ships and the allure of doing a seascape but so far I've never got round to it.

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2024, 04:46:11 AM »
Thank you for your comments RAGIII, KiwiZac, AngryJazz and Nigel.
I didn't invent the foil technique, I checked out UTube videos and thought this was the most practical and time effective method: https://youtu.be/aoAaodEqO0g?si=0bKtZN0LQG3hxKQo
Progress has been slow on the boat but I have worked on the crew. Although there are 7 crew members I don't think all of them would be on the deck at the same time and I opted for 3. These are 3d printed NeOmega figures which I sprayed white then brush painted the skin and hair. Uniform was painted in WW2 Panzer grey and given 2 washes of thinned black. Flesh and hair was washed with thinned brown. The commander 'Long John Silver' lost a leg when I clamped him in order to be painted. Somehow the clamp shot him like a bullet in one direction and his leg in another. I found Long John Silver under the radiator but to my amazement, after an hour's worth of unsuccessful looking, I found LJS's leg in the dustpan after sweeping the carpet later. I will attach it at the last minute in case it propells itself across the room again.
Thanks for looking in, Alan.

I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2024, 06:45:42 AM »
Excellent work on those Tiny figures!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline NigelR

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2024, 07:03:31 PM »
Great idea to add figures, they really make a ship model come to life. And even better with a full complement of legs.....