Author Topic: Hello Everyone! I'm new here!  (Read 548 times)

Offline theogonzalez

Hello Everyone! I'm new here!
« on: June 10, 2024, 01:19:50 PM »
Hello, All,

My name is Theogon.  My modeling experience is primarily WW II, but I have been captivated by the marvels of The Great War flying machines.  I have begun with the Meng Dr.1 in 1/32 scale.  I want to do one of the Baron's mounts prior to his all red version.  Wings Palette shows 127/17 with all three wings painted red with the streaked finish fuselage and red tail and cowl.  Is this accurate?  It is attractive enough that I may use it regardless, but it's nice to know.  The kit, by the way is a gem!  I'm enjoying reading through the posts on the forum. 

You all seem like a good lot!

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: Hello Everyone! I'm new here!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2024, 08:31:07 PM »
Hi. Welcome to this lovely place! I am sure you will find a lot of info and answers to your questions here. And I am looking forward to seeing your models, Dr.I for the starters.

As for your question, I suggest you post it in the appropriate section on WW1 aircraft colours, as not everyone looks into this section.
Me, I am not a Red Baron freak, I cannot answer your question right away, but if no one answers, just send me a PM and I will check it for you in the literature.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2024, 04:46:31 AM »
Hello, Theogon, welcome to the Forum! We have some very knowledgable folks here, who I'm sure will provide you with the answers you're searching for. Not being a Von Richthofen expert I can't really comment, other than to note that Aviattic has two sets for 127/17, the first with an all streaked finish on the wings, and the second (ATT32299) with the red on the upper surfaces of the top wing only. But as the car advertisments always say, "your mileage may vary" :)

Dutch
« Last Edit: June 11, 2024, 10:18:00 AM by Davos522 »

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2024, 09:56:02 AM »
Welcome! Enjoy the forum.

Steve

Offline macsporran

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2024, 06:03:26 PM »
Hi T, and welcome from Bonnie Scotland!

I'm no MvR expert, but the Wingnut Wings MvR Albatros boxing includes some decals for his Dr.I 127/17. (At that time WNW said they would never make a Dr.I and recommended the Roden kit. However they later changed their minds and tooled up the Dr.I and F.I kits but closed down before production. Meng had tooled up the moulds for them and, evidently, in lieu of payment went ahead and released the Dr.I kit themselves.)

The Wingnut site is still up and running BTW and is a trove of info on all things WWI.

Here is a link to their (very thoroughly researched) conclusion about 127/17's markings. These are the colours I'll use if I get round to model it FWIW.
Cheers
Sandy

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/v98C7274C/www/products/model_kitsets/32601/online_instructions/7132601%20Albatros%20D.V%20Manfred%20von%20Richthofen%20Page%2020.jpg
« Last Edit: June 11, 2024, 06:09:15 PM by macsporran »

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2024, 06:18:28 PM »
Hello Theogon! Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing your work and how you tackle your 'tripe. You'll hopefully find us a helpful bunch here, as you can see!

Cheers,

Brad C
Owner and Administrator
forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline djuggie

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2024, 02:43:22 AM »
Theogon,

Welcome to a group of 1/32 scale kits second to none.  And we are nice people.  Look through some of the builds and you find 1/32 is the dominant scale.  And there is no end to techniques that they use to accomplish the build.  I am primarily a 1/72 scale builder but I have built the Meng Triplane.

Glad to have you with us and we look forward to photos of your builds.

Dennis from the middle of California

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2024, 03:45:10 AM »
Hello Theogon
Welcome to the Forum. A 1/32 Fokker Dr.1 is a really good way to go. The early Richthofen' marking with the red and the Fokker streaks is a great choice for this iconic plane.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2024, 08:24:10 AM »
Theogon,
    Welcome to the best online modelling forum on the net, you'll find it a friendly and helpful place to share your hobby and I know you'll enjoy it. Looking forward to your contributions here.
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2024, 02:15:02 AM »
welcome to the Forum! For what it is worth I agree with WNW on the scheme for 127/17. Please make sure you straighten the upper wing when you do the build  8) Enjoy the Forum, it's the Best!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2024, 03:14:48 AM »
Welcome!  :D
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2024, 03:47:20 PM »
Welcome, Theogon!
Zac in NZ