Author Topic: Nieuport 17 varnish question  (Read 645 times)

Offline AlbertD

Nieuport 17 varnish question
« on: September 20, 2023, 11:33:25 AM »
I'm building a CSM Nieuport 17 and using Aviattic linen effects decals. I have painted the surfaces with Alclad White Aluminum and done some subtle pre-shading. The surfaces have been clear coated with Tamiya X-22 gloss clear. I have not applied the decals yet.

My question is, would it be appropriate to put a bit of yellow or orange in the clear coat over the decals to show varnish aging? I'm also open to any suggestions about using the decals. I have used Aviattic decals before but they always had a full shape to cut out. Should I make them a bit oversized then trim once set?

Offline Davos522

Re: Nieuport 17 varnish question
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 04:05:06 AM »
Hi Albert, I guess the yellowing would depend on whether the airframe had been in service long, which as I'm sure you know, was a chancy thing in WWI. Heavily weathered Nieuports are unusual from the photos I've seen, aside from burnt castor oil from the rotary and dirt & mud on the undersides (except for some of the two-seaters and a lot of the Russian a/c) so I'd probably go with no aging on the dope.

I'm looking forward to seeing what your experience is like with the clear Aviattic linen-effect decals, as I got some to use on my Nieuport 16, which is going to have a three-color (or possibly four) camo scheme, with pale blue (or possibly CDL, or possibly grey... :-P) undersides.

Looking forward to seeing how you make out!

Dutch