Author Topic: Dh.9a - Clear prop models 1/72  (Read 910 times)

Offline torbiorn

Dh.9a - Clear prop models 1/72
« on: September 07, 2023, 09:56:26 AM »
I made a work-in-progress thread on another forum, but thought I’d share here as well, because I’d like to brag abit about this kit: the 1/72 Dh.9a by Clear Prop Models. The firm was unknown to me, but reviews were good and they weren’t exaggerating. It is one of the best Great war kits I’ve seen, and arguably the best two-seater. It’s more costly than the competing KP, but worth every penny in my opinion.

I built it almost put of the box, only some small changes. The one thing to be careful is the very brittle plastic (hard plstic gives crisp detail but also brittleness): I snapped two struts before I learnt that they really do not take any compression. That’s the only downside… I’ve been playing with its big WNW brother and it really felt like I just had a scaled down version in my hand - I do suspect the designers have been looking very close on the WNW kit.
Some smaller changes were made, mostly to accomodate the selected scheme:
- Outer pairs of struts should be narrower than the inner pair but the kit comes with one-size-for-all. This is the only real inaccuracy I found. I reduced the chord accordingly.
-The fuselage is late style, but some of the option should have early style. The difference is in size of cloth-covered panel on the aft. Some filling and scribing was enough to adapt it.
-Replaced the triangular fairing on the front with a half-circular (different manufacturers had different style)
-White decals are borderline transparent, consider white base - I didn’t as I

Some build shots: comparing the office deck with the WNW ditto:

he pilot’s instrument panel is a treat

The kit comes with a full set of Cooper bombs too, with PE fins, though I saved them for other projects.

I do hope they and theirs are sound and well - based in Kyiv - and that they sell well, I would love to see more one day. A DFW C.V perhaps?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 03:52:43 PM by torbiorn »

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Dh.9a - Clear prop models 1/72
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 01:45:50 PM »
You could tell me this was your WNW kit and I'd have believed you. What a gorgeous build! More power to Clear Prop! and here's hoping for more WW1 and other interesting projects.
Zac in NZ

Offline NigelR

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 05:56:59 PM »
The Clear Prop kit looks superb and you definitely did it justice. Lovely work all round.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 07:19:41 PM »
You could easily be fooled into thinking this was larger scale than actually is.  Brilliant!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 07:59:19 PM »
Very nice!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2023, 08:51:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing this... it looks like an amazing kit, I'd never heard of this company before. I have the old Maquette kit in 1:72 from the turn of the century, and built the Airfix D.H.4, but this one is on a completely different level!

Dutch

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2023, 10:07:30 PM »
Great looking build. I agree that the instrument panel is really nice.  I managed to get one of these kits before the price shot up on eBay.  It really is a beautifully crafted kit.  I hope they have more WWI 1/72 releases in the future as well.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2023, 01:13:52 AM »
That is a super model and like others I could easily have believed that it was in a much larger scale. Good luck to the company and I hope that they can produce more kits of this quality.

Stephen.

Offline enathan

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2023, 06:03:07 AM »
It's a great looking DH.9a! excellent work.
The Clear Prop kit looked very good in the photos, clearly superior to the KP offering. The only thing I didn't like were the wrinkled linen side panels, these looked schematic and a bit exaggerated for this scale. It seems that you have gotten rid of the wrinkles when correcting the panels.
I'm now tempted to buy one... 

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2023, 12:15:07 PM »
Wow!  Clear props usually makes a quality product. Nicely done. 

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2023, 01:49:06 AM »
I have this kit too, together with the extra goodies (PE and decals).

This is really a quality kit, but I'm afraid it will be in the stash for some time.

You have made a wonderful model of it!

Cheers,
Willem
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 05:52:23 PM by Rookie »

Offline RichieW

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2023, 11:34:09 PM »
Beautiful, beautiful work. As Zac said, you've done such a great job it is very easy to mistake it for 1/32 WNW kit.

Richie

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2023, 12:08:26 PM »
That is really well done.  I agree with Zac.  Looks very WNWsy!

Dan