Author Topic: Fokker D.VII What colors in front of the cockpit under the upper wing?  (Read 1138 times)

Offline SimonK

I have just received and started building the Eduard 1/72 D.VII (OAW) kit.  My question concerns the colors in front of the cockpit on the panels that run under the upper wing and no lower than the cockpit edge.

Eduard's color profiles show a little section that runs by the machine guns to the rear edge of the upper wing; they tell you to paint one side purple, the other side green.  They don't say this is a part of the lozenge covering.

However, if you look at the profiles under a microscope they have actually printed a mix of purple/green that does in fact extend all the way to the upper wing's leading edge.  They don't mention anything about painting green/purple that far. The rest of the fuselage side is black btw.

Anyone tell me if those panels are in fact covered in lozenge fabric or are they painted panels in a random purple/green only?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 02:28:33 AM by SimonK »

Offline RAGIII

Yes, OAW used green with the purple on this area. Earlier Models had random purple soft edged over the green. Late Model OAW Fokker DVII's had more angular purple patterns and even extended this to the engine covers and metal side panels. I am attaching a link to the WNW OAW DVII. Between the directions, color scheme profiles and archive photos this should answer your question.
RAGIII

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3080&cat=3
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline SimonK

Yes, OAW used green with the purple on this area. Earlier Models had random purple soft edged over the green. Late Model OAW Fokker DVII's had more angular purple patterns and even extended this to the engine covers and metal side panels. I am attaching a link to the WNW OAW DVII. Between the directions, color scheme profiles and archive photos this should answer your question.
RAGIII

Thanks, that has cleared up that question. Eduard's call out for the purple looks to be incorrect as the color profiles in Wingnut certainly suggest that purple is different to that used on the general camo, a much less vibrant purple, so I'll lighten mine to suit.
Simon

Offline RAGIII

RAGIII

Thanks, that has cleared up that question. Eduard's call out for the purple looks to be incorrect as the color profiles in Wingnut certainly suggest that purple is different to that used on the general camo, a much less vibrant purple, so I'll lighten mine to suit.
Simon

You are welcome Simon. Glad I could Assist!
RAGIII

PS: I think the "Purple" should roughly match the corresponding color in the lozenge, or so I understand things. No reason to be too pedantic re shades. Mix it up as you like it  8)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 04:53:19 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler