Author Topic: Anyone Else As Disappointed As I Am In "The Hobbit"  (Read 1637 times)

WarrenD

Anyone Else As Disappointed As I Am In "The Hobbit"
« on: December 24, 2012, 02:21:15 AM »
I fell in love with Tolkein's work when I was 12 by reading The Hobbit. My wife and son (now 18) are avid fans of Tolkein's works. I understood why Sir Peter Jackson left out a great deal from the LOTR trilogy. I had my fears going into The Hobbit as to how he was going to take a book that was not half the length of ONE of the books from the trilogy, and make a three part movie out of it.
My fears were confirmed this last Friday when my wife, son, and I went to the theater to catch it. I used to honestly believe that Sir Peter Jackson actually liked and cared for the literature of Tolkein, but his insertion of characters that aren't in the book, scenes that aren't in the book (to include the equivalent Middle Earth version of car chase scenes), etc. left me with the distinct impression that he cares very little for Tolkein, and has lowered himself to likes of Lucas.
I felt as if I had seen a Middle Earth version of Episode I of Star Wars.   :( :( :( :(  >:( >:( >:(  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Warren

Offline Modelnut

Re: Anyone Else As Disappointed As I Am In "The Hobbit"
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 03:11:34 AM »
OT, but you lucky dog! An 18 YO wife?! Is your son cool with that?

Just kidding! I don't catch many movies, but I saw one critic on TV say it was 3 hours of walking.

Offline Ollie

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 11:54:46 AM »
I agree. I didn't here that it was going to broken into three movies until after I saw it. I was really bummed when it ended abruptly. But I'll patiently wait for the other two. The details were awesome I thought. I might wait till the other two end up in DVD though. I have sometime to decide.

Ollie

Offline IanB

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 12:55:37 PM »
That's such a shame.
 I've been a fan since I was a kid - I was at school with JRR's 3 grand-nephews who lived just up the road (a hundred yards or so!), although unfortunately never met the man himself. Horrible to think that the family sold all the rights back in the 70's and haven't made a penny from any of the films....

Ian

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 01:39:23 PM »
I will reserve judgment until I see it.  I have heard that this trilogy is based more on an appendix to the Lord of the Rings that fleshed out the Hobbit tale in much more detail than the relatively short "prequel" novel.  This may account for the divergence from the novel itself.  I will trust Sir Peter until I see it.

. . . besides, if he keeps making long trilogies that take liberties but generate huge revenues to support development of far-ranging WNW projects, I'm all for it!  ;D

Regards,

Bob 

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 01:53:14 PM »
I'm also resrving judgement until I see it - Jackson has stated that these new films are a bit 'more' than just the Hobbit. They are an amalgam of LoR (appendix), The Hobbit and, I could be mistaken here, The Silmarillion?

Anyway, I hope to see the film in the new year....

Andrew

p.s. Couldn't agree more about Lucas though, lets hope the new trilogy being developed by Disney brings back the magic....
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:54:58 PM by whiteknuckles »
Eternal Apprentice

WarrenD

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 02:02:17 PM »
Well, my wife and son have read everything by Tolkien available to include The Simarillion(sp?), and other works published after his death, etc. I trust them implicitly on this, and according the them and other friends of mine who are fans of Tolkien works, there are things in The Hobbit that just don't belong, period. 
Insofar as 1/32nd a/c kits are concerned, I could not care less (and yes, I know it's a sacrilege to say that around here with all the WNW fan-boys).

Warren

Offline Jose Chaica

• Jose "Von Muttley" Chaica
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 12:01:09 AM »
I liked it... very much, specially the 3D version (those Middle Earth scenarios which are awesome!).
But I think that it shouldn´t have been named "The Hobbit"... a more appropriate title would be "The Hobbit and some other stories from the Middle Earth".  :)
Also bear in mind that "The Hobbit" was/is a children book... and yes, I agree that it shouldn´t be a trilogy... 2 movies would be more than enough to tell the whole "The Hobbit" story.
Jose Chaica, from Portugal.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 12:21:15 AM »
Movie makers walk that fine line now of - "stick to the story" or fill it with "eye candy" My short answer is I will see it, as everyone in the world should, so WNW releases every WWI aircraft type ever made......then buy the blu ray so they make all the inter war types........

Steve

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 12:27:19 PM »
Movie makers walk that fine line now of - "stick to the story" or fill it with "eye candy" My short answer is I will see it, as everyone in the world should, so WNW releases every WWI aircraft type ever made......then buy the blu ray so they make all the inter war types........

Steve

hehe my thoughts exactly, except I'm sending someone in my place  :D

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 02:22:50 PM »
I saw "THe Hobbit" tonight, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  A very absorbing tale of Middle Earth.  The story is much broader in context than the original novel, and is based on Tolkein's fuller history of Middle Earth.  For a more detailed explanation check out this link to a more thoughtful (IMHO) analysis:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-abramson/dislike-peter-jacksons-em_b_2342591.html

I'm looking forward to the next installment (along with the year-end WNW realeases for 2013)!  Well done Sir Peter.

Regards,

Bob

Dekenba

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 02:35:40 AM »
I thought it was a great method of raising funds for some nice SPAD's in the new year.