Author Topic: Oh, Airfix ......!  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Nigel Jackson

Oh, Airfix ......!
« on: October 08, 2016, 02:35:54 AM »
Oh, Airfix ...!Why did you leave it so late in my life to re-discover your zeal?

I have just checked through my email and found their latest news update. What is there? A new Supermarine Walrus tooling in 1/48 with lots of lovely internal detail and which can be made with the wings folded back.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline JiffyJDavies

Re: Oh, Airfix ......!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 04:38:48 AM »
Super aircraft, full of character.

I'm mid way through HpH's 1/32 Walrus. Over-engineered & a bit too much sanding for my tastes. And not cheap.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 01:59:04 AM »
So, why do they keep doing this to me?

Today comes the news that a 1/48 Hawker Sea Fury FB.II is scheduled for around September 2017.

When recovering from serious illness in the 1990s, a Hobbycraft model of the same together with a massive resin and etched metal improvement set marked my return to the world of kit construction. All the resin etc made it feel an incredibly heavy model when finished. Somehow that felt appropriate for such a massively powerful aircraft.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 05:32:05 AM »
Nigel,   
    Now that's exciting news! I don't model in 1:48 Scale any more nor do I pursue other then WWI or, in a stretch, between the wars subjects but a well done Sea Fury could prove very hard to resist! I spent a great deal of my time in Halifax adjacent to the Royal Canadian Navy Air Station at Shearwater during the Sea Fury days. Seeing those beautiful aircraft whining about the skies was a daily occurrence and started my fascination with aircraft and an ambition to fly when I "grew up". I was at least successful in the flying part, not sure if I've really grown up to this day!
   Thanks for the head's up, I suspect there will be a Sea Fury in RCN colours beside my Seafire XV just for old times sake in future!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 02:10:08 AM »
Hi Lance

Boy would I like to have seen those Sea Furies operating out of Shearwater. i've long been facinated by late war/early post war carrier based aircraft, like the Sea Fury, the Firefly and the Seafire.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 02:34:38 AM »
Hi Lance

Boy would I like to have seen those Sea Furies operating out of Shearwater. i've long been facinated by late war/early post war carrier based aircraft, like the Sea Fury, the Firefly and the Seafire.

Best wishes
Nigel

Nigel,
    I remember as a lad of 6-7 years old (a Navy "Brat" as we were known to our civilian buddies) marvelling at the beauty and speed of the Sea Furies zipping over the harbour and city. One fond memory is of a Naval Day mock attack on the many ships tied up in the harbour, I had a grand stand seat on the shore across from the action and it all but blew my little impressionable mind! I think they retired them in 56 or 57, the Banshee being purchased for our newer Carrier, the Magnificent. The other thing about them was the sound, a mix of a roar and a whine like no other that thrilled us all.
   Great memories, now I'm doomed for a date with Airfix for certain!
Cheers,
Lance