Author Topic: Photo hosting sites  (Read 1624 times)

Offline lone modeller

Photo hosting sites
« on: January 22, 2017, 09:25:28 AM »
Dear All,

This is an appeal for help. Until now I have been using Photobucket as a host for loading photos but recently the site has been driving me mad. This evening I was trying to post an update and after half an hour of the site falling over and obliterating everything I gave up. It has been getting progressively worse for some time now and I have tried using other sites including Flikr but cannot load photos because I cannot create a new album and there are no instructions on how to do so on that site. Similarly Tinypics offers no help to new users.

Does anyone use a site which is SIMPLE TO USE AND HAS INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO LOAD AND TRANSFER PICTURES i.e. treats its users with respect and does not assume that we are all under 25 and live our lives on social media and the net? Photobucket is good in those respects but it is clearly so unreliable that I for one am now walking away .

Apologies for the rant but I am a bit frustrated. Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen.

Offline IanB

Re: Photo hosting sites
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 10:11:24 AM »
I just started using Flickr for exactly those reasons and have had no problems. You can allocate pics to an album before uploading, and I just copy the location, then delete everything outside the [img] boxes after I've pasted it where I want it. Seems to work just fine!

Ian

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 12:29:30 PM »
    I am very very close to your position, Stephen, it's becoming worse by the day! I'll be following your progress here as, despite my best efforts and trying to be patient Photobucket is causing me a lot of frustration to say the very least! Let us all know what your solutions entail!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 07:47:40 PM »
Thanks Ian, Krow, RB and Lance.

Krow: I had thought that it was volume of traffic that was the cause of the problem - I had started to slow down moving pictures but even so in the past few weeks it has continually crashed and taken the other site with it.

Ian and RB: I spent a little time on Flikr last night and finally found how to load, create albums and post from there - it took me an hour but having "mastered" I had a post completed in near record time with 5 images. this time I have written down with pen and paper what to do - I did not do this the first time I used it and should have done. My problem is that I am not computer savvy and had several bad experiences when they were still programmed using punch cards……. I do not seem to have recovered as I have an unfounded fear of causing damage to either my own machine or other people's sites! Wholly irrational I know but still applies!! I also become terribly confused very quickly with these programmes - something in me does not think in the way in which machines a re programmed and I get frustrated very quickly with predictable results. I can be very patient with people and many situations but technology…… my achilles heel.

Lance: follow RB' link above and I think that you will find it works. I tried with a blog by just moving pictures and playing with them until I found how to do it: I then deleted everything from the blog so that I had not interfered with the site or left anything that administrator had to clear up. I have found that:
I select a picture to copy,
Click on the copy icon bottom right,
Choose BBCode,
copy the url which appears on the next screen,
copy the url in to the blog,
delete the second line from the blog - this removes the name and Flickr tag form the photo.

It was remarkably quick yesterday and later today I hope to post an update on this site.

I hope that this works for all and any who have been having similar problems to me - I will update this if I find that an alternative method works better for me.

Stephen.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 02:35:01 PM »
I used to use Photobucket but since all the dramas they created I opted out a few years ago, I now use Postimage which is a very easy and free site to use, I have also used Picture Trail which is another free photo hosting site and quite easy to use.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 11:36:09 PM »
I use imgur. Several sizing options when you upload. Copy the forum image link and post it on forum. Simples! Just like photobucket was back in the day...but better (and free!! ;D)
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 02:42:25 AM »
Thanks Des and Cimmerman for the advice. I used Flikr yesterday having found out what to do (and written it all down so that when I forget I have something to refer to), and is what very quick and straightforward - even I could do it!!!!!! Free too.

Stephen.

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 03:52:15 AM »
Hi Stephen - As someone who has struggled with this same issue quite recently maybe this will help -

I have used Google 'Picasa' for many years finding it easy to upload, keep track of images and post into the text box with ease.

Picasa was recently replaced with 'Google Photos' and immediately caused me difficulties. However, despite the initial problems I experienced when it first changed over coupled with Win10 it has proved just as easy to upload (if not actually easier) from images stored in the 'My Pictures' folders on the PC. Once in 'Google Photo's', the storage is also very easy to search with quick access to any folder. One right click on an image within gives a drop down menu and one click is all that is needed to take that image address and insert it into the text-box on here.

The only real difference I have found is the number of lines of text for each image - irritating and a nuisance to begin with, now totally unnoticed - posting images within the text really is as easy as before.

I can only say - if I find it easy then it really must be as usually I do struggle with such matters. On top of that it's basically free   :D
(You'd need a truly huge file before any charges begin)

Hope that's of use - Tug

I have just tried it to count the clicks required-

one LH click to open the desktop
another to open 'Albums'
one more to open the desired 'Album'
(once this is done there is no further need until the album is closed so only four clicks required for each image onward)

one LH to open the image

One RH click on the image to open menu
One LH for 'copy image address'
One RH to paste into the bkts in the text box

I now find it all pretty straightforward so if I can be of any further help just ask

Regards - Tug

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 03:41:22 AM »
Thanks Tug that is really helpful. I may well give it a try.

I hope that perhaps some others may be finding this useful if they are also having problems with their photos host.

Stephen.