Author Topic: Birthday treats ?  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Suffolk Lad

Birthday treats ?
« on: August 07, 2016, 05:19:49 AM »
Hi guys - my birthday is in early January - I was always someone who got his 'Xmas and birthday' present combined  :( So I'm one for a pseudo birthday at any time in the middle of the year  ;D

I had the Bristol Fighter kit arrive yesterday and tomorrow I'm off to Old Warden for the Edwardian Pageant to hopefully see the real thing  :) :) What could be a better birthday present even if it is seven months late (or five months early depending on your point of view)

Ah, Happy days indeed

Regards - Tug

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: Birthday treats ?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 05:51:10 AM »
Well happy pseudo birthday then, Tug. Doesn't the reigning monarch have a couple of birthdays a year?

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 08:33:01 AM »
Best wishes for the edwardians flight, I went once to the Shuttleworth collections: didn't see WW1 and preWW1 flying because of wind exceeding their limitations but I enjoyed a great day anyway. I hope to go back someday, meanwhile happy "notbirthday"!
Giuseppe

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 09:39:48 AM »
I hope you have a great time at Old Warden Tug and a very happy 'belated Birthday'

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 09:47:46 AM »
Have fun at Old Warden, Tug!  Happy early birthday!  To catch a flying day there is a dream of mine.  How far from either Telford or London is it and is it even open in November?
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 03:03:27 PM »
Hi Guys

We're up early and will leave shortly - it's about a 2 hour drive for us. Though we haven't been for several years at one time it was a regular occurrence throughout the year when we would attend the aeromodelling events held there.

It's been quite a while since we've been to an air display though so really looking forwards to it. The forecast is warm but 'breezy' so I'm hoping that won't be enough to limit the flying.

Bud- it's quite a distance (by UK standards that is) from Telford but reasonably close to London by train I believe. I have a feeling the museum is open every day throughout the year save Xmas

Have a look here http://www.shuttleworth.org/

Bye for now - Tug

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 10:17:21 PM »
Hi Tug! Interim Birthdays are the best! Spoil yourself rotten! Very envious of your access to those wonderful flying machines...
Regards,
Marc

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 07:57:48 AM »

Oh yes, I did try Marc  ;D

A great day out unfortunately tempered by the disappointment of not seeing a single WWI plane take to the air  :(

Apparently the wind was blowing country wide in varying strengths and certainly too high for most of the lighter aircraft to take part but there was still a great atmosphere  and despite a horizontal windsock throughout the day a superb display was put on by those aircraft that could match the wind though even some of them could be seen to be noticeably affected by the cross wind.

Although we've been to OW on many occasions (though not of late) seeing the DH 88 Comet was a first plus the two Percival Mew Gulls flying with it. A lovely finale by two Hurricanes made up for the loss of the WWI display but the real highlight of the day for both of us was the Lysander strutting it's stuff.

The WWI aircraft were mostly out when we arrived but were hurriedly put back in the hangar shortly after.  I had my 'coolpix' to hand so snapped quite a few as this happened but how good the pics are I'll see tomorrow.

Treats? well I found some very nice additions to the library  ;) but again more on that tomorrow.

One thing's for sure I'm definitely pencilling in a mid year 'birthday' for next year  :)

Regards - Tug

WarrenD

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 08:18:31 AM »
Happy belated birthday Tug!  I have an old friend from high school that decided she was going to celebrate her birthday every day this year, all year long. She's having a blast. Perhaps you should do the same!

Warren

Offline 15badcats

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 01:21:51 PM »
Happy Birthday My Birthday is Dec 25 so I have the Christmas birthday thin to I've always thought it great that everybody is celebrating on my birthday I do like the celebrate your birthday all year thing though I'll have to try that

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 06:44:31 PM »
Warren - I like the idea   :) but I don't think my wallet nor the chancellor (Sue) would agree  :(

BadCats - I thought mine was bad enough (Jan 11th) but Xmas day now that's a raw deal.

I think I'm going to retrograde mine by a good six months - not only will I get that birthday in the middle of the year but I'll be six months younger  :D

Regards - Tug

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 04:02:29 AM »
Go to Old Warden to see the Shuttleworth collection? Why not let the collection (or part of it), come to you?

Earlier today I was walking in the Kent countryside at a place called Barnfield (a house approximately 5 miles west north west of Ashford), when 7 biplanes, two triplanes and a monoplane flew directly overhead heading north. Some of the biplanes were from the Moth family, but one was, I think, a 1 1/2 Strutter. A second was without question a BE 2c - I could clearly see the undercarriage skids and the underwing roundels. The two triplanes were Fokker Dr 1's - on one I could see the underwing crosses. The monoplane has me foxed - I think that it could have been a Bristol Monoplane of 1912 but I am not sure - it was certainly an early monoplane with rounded wing tips. All were flying at a moderate speed and at a height of approx 150m - unfortunately I did not have binoculars with me but the sun was shining and the air was very clear so that I had a spectacular view.

Normally I see birds, butterflies, wild flowers and the odd modern light aircraft or helicopter on my walks: at this time of year I also frequently see Spitfires, Hurricanes and the BoB Lancaster flying from air show to air show, and have seen other WW2 types too, but never before have I seen such a collection as today. Not my birthday, or an unofficial one, but I have just had a real treat!   

Stephen.

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 07:59:55 AM »
Oh nice one Stephen - go on rub it in  :D

I was only bemoaning the fact today that unlike last week the weather was perfect for flying. Never mind there is always next year  ;)

I would hazard a guess that the monoplane may have been the Bristol M1c as that has distinctive round wingtips. There was a BE2 destined to fly last week but there was no sight of it on the ground - guess that was due to fly in later in the day. That reminds me I still have some pics of the aircraft there to put up

Regards - Tug

WarrenD

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 08:10:55 AM »
Yeah Stephen, rub it in! ;) ;)

Warren

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 03:09:48 AM »
OK, so I will! ;D ;D 8)

No the monoplane was not the Bristol M1c - that I could tell from the nose as the engine was not a rotary/radial. Not sure what it was - but I have learned today that the planes were probably flying from the Eastbourne show to one at Herne Bay - certainly the direction of flight conformed to that suggestion.

Stephen.