Author Topic: WNW DVII and Albatross DVa Upgrade Questions  (Read 1205 times)

Offline theseeker

WNW DVII and Albatross DVa Upgrade Questions
« on: May 17, 2016, 10:56:35 AM »
Although I am new to this forum, I am not new to building models. I am 55 and I built my first model at the age of 5. It was not pretty, a F-4J Phantom painted red! However, the addiction was on.
I only build large scale, aircraft from 1/32 to 1/8th, autos from 1/12 to 1/8th , armor from 1/16-1/6th and I just received a 1/4 scale Ducati. I have a Sherline mill and lathe and I have been known to make my own parts when frustrated!
My apologies for the long winded introduction and now to the questions....
I recently purchased two WNW kits, a DVII Fokker and a an Albatross DVa, I would like to know the optimal upgrades for both kits. I am familiar with HGW, Taurus, MM, Aviattic, Radu and the like, but just not sure which are the best for the above mentioned kits.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Rocky

Offline mike in calif

Re: WNW DVII and Albatross DVa Upgrade Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 11:51:05 AM »
Welcome Rocky, to the finest WWI aviation( and some other stuff!) site on the web. For Albie questions, you may want to start with our very own Bo, who runs Flugzuegwerke, right here on the site.
               Mike in calif

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 12:06:33 PM »
Rocky,
   I'd recommend an hour or two going through Completed Models and Under Construction here; most products and some pretty candid reviews have been entered there. I like the RB Productions Radiator Grill Set for the D.VII, Bo has some great wheels available for the Albies, and the Taurus Line of engine upgrades are hard to beat. Aviattic Lozenge is almost a "given" and Gas Patch makes great guns. We are so lucky presently to have absolutely outstanding After Market support for our Hobby, the potential seems endless. I'd shop around for certain however the crowd here are a pretty experienced and discerning lot; their recommendations should serve you well!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline theseeker

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 02:01:07 PM »
Mike, Barron and Lance,

Many thanks for the replies!

I have delved through the numerous threads regarding both kits, and I am amazed at the insane quality of builds in this forum. I have been a member of LSP for a few years, but I took a hiatus from the hobby for a while due to international work and travel.

Wow, the hobby has changed! I have been to Bo's website too and it is very impressive to say the least. There are so many places to turn for upgrades that it can get confusing at times. I have a Hase big scale Dr. 1 close to completion, but after seeing the builds here and the level of detail, I am going to start over with the exception of the engine. The turnbuckles here alone made me mad at myself for not finding this site sooner! However, I am a detail freak and I can tell that all of you are too.

I am very happy to be here and thanks again for all of the help and the warm welcome, both are greatly appreciated!

Rocky

Offline theseeker

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 08:31:56 AM »
I made a pretty large order from Bo's site today and going through a few other sites too. I am familiar with RB belts from my WWII builds, so I ordered his belts.
I am assuming most of you shy away from the PE sets available? I have used them in the past, but I typically find myself scratch-building more and more.

Rocky

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 08:57:48 AM »
Thanks Rocky and --

The PE sets from HGW for the models you mention have some useful parts. I opted to scrape off all the hatches and bracket detail from my Alb DV and replace with the relevant PE items; I think it is a worthwhile upgrade. (I made my own louvres).

Regarding the Fokker D.VII -- the PE sets have a few useful bits that would be difficult to scratch, but the ratio of useful bits to not is less imo.

Offline theseeker

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 09:48:38 AM »
Bo,

Many thanks for the advice and help.
I have scoured through your build threads, which have caused me to drink at times! However, I truly enjoy people that raise the bar in any facet of life. It took me ten years in my business, but it paid off. Funny, modelers are very open to change, business people on the other hand are deaf, dumb and blind at times.
Cheers to you for raising the bar and taking a chance and the associated risk.

Rocky

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 10:14:23 AM »

I have scoured through your build threads, which have caused me to drink at times!

Clink! :)

Cheers,

--Bo