Author Topic: How to find what flew where?  (Read 1037 times)

Offline jknaus

How to find what flew where?
« on: May 13, 2016, 01:43:00 AM »
I'm hoping someone can give me an idea how to search for what types of aircraft flew at which airfield. I was looking at Udets Fokker E.III and it was in KeK Habstein which was in Habstein. FFA 48 and FFA 68 flew there. But my limited understandiing was that the KeKs were formed on airfields where other aircraft such as reconnnaisance flew. I'm having no luck. Its a curiosity thing. I was thinking if I did Udets aircraft in the future maybe I could add a reconnaisance aircraft such as the Albatros B.II from whatever usint shared the field. I hope this makes sense to you what I am looking for.
Thanks in advance.
James

Offline Borsos

Re: How to find what flew where?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 06:00:45 AM »
Originally some scout airplanes were attached to every FFA/AFA to defend the unit. In 1916 these fighters were regrouped into bigger temporary units to defend the German frontline more effectively against the special scout squadrons like 24th Squadron or N3 for instance (until then the just one or two German scouts of the FFA/AFA had to face a whole Allied squadron of fighter scouts).  members of such a kek - Kampfeinsitzerkommando = fighter scout detachment - were still linked to their original FFA/AFA. Kek Habsheim (not "Habstein") was founded in March 1916 with personnel mainly from FFA 68 and some men of FFA 48. The scouts they flew were Fokker E. III and D II, later D III. on September 28 1916 Jasta 15, a permanent unit, was founded with the personnel of kek Habsheim and more personnel of both mentioned FFAs.
I actually understand your intention to model several airplanes that were flown by these units or by Udet himself. As far as I can say, this is a hard task. If I were you would browse through the Windsock volumes of the then used reconnaissance biplanes (Albatros C I, C III, B II, LVG C II, AVIATIK C I, ALBATROS C V, RUMPLER C I) and hope that you find a pic of FFA 48 or 68 somewhere (the volumes of Jack Herris are valuable here too). As far as I know there's no special book dealing with these units.
German sources about FFAs/AFAs are sadly quite rare due to the fact that the archive of the imperial German army burned to the ground in 1945.
I hope, that helps a bit.
Best wishes
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline James

How to find what flew where?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 10:16:48 AM »
You might want to try this book. I have it and I highly recommend it.

KEK's and Fokkerstaffels - The early German fighter units in 1915-1916 by Johan Ryheul

http://www.amazon.com/KEKs-Fokkerstaffels-German-fighter-1915-1916/dp/1781552231/ref=sr_1_1_twi_har_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1463098449&sr=1-1&keywords=fokkerstaffel

Hope this might be of some help.

James Sontag
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline jknaus

Re: How to find what flew where?
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 10:51:54 AM »
Man my speeling is getting worser. Yep its Habsheim.  I thought that they mingled but evidently each airfield was for a particular role?  I have to reread some of these books and see if the info sticks.
I do have the KEK's and Fokkerstaffels book on my tablet and started reading it again last night. Unfortunately it was 0300 and nothing registered. Maybe too much on my mind to be doing this research at this moment.

Thanks for the help guys and the great rundown. Bursos that is a very good idea. Will have to pursue it I think.
James