Author Topic: Plastic micro-capillary tubing  (Read 1766 times)

Offline timpivonka

Plastic micro-capillary tubing
« on: February 21, 2016, 04:01:38 PM »
Has anyone here ever tried to use any kind of polyamide micro-capillary tubing to make
turnbuckles or rigging attachment points in 1/32nd or 1/48th scale?  If, so, what size inner and outer wall
diameter and a source to buy it?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.  It seems it would be much easier to use than brass tubing.

Thanks, Tim Pivonka

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
Re: Plastic micro-capillary tubing
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 04:59:07 PM »
I have used these http://www.amazon.com/Translucent-Amber-Miniature-Polyimide-Tubing/dp/B003TLNL5I

and they work great. look for the hints and tips from Umlaufmoter in the main menu of this site for more hints and tips about this.
works great and looks good too.

Offline timpivonka

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 03:54:57 AM »
Thanks.  I'll certainly try it.
Tim Pivonka

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 05:37:24 AM »
Hello Tim.

I'm using this too at the moment, having just done some internal rigging in the cockpit of a 1/48 Taube and I'm very happy with the results. For the rigging wire I'm using the Modelkasten product which I think has a 0.13mm diameter. I chose the tubing from the large range available from the link  hiddeous1973  gave you and an internal diameter just large enough to accommodate one pass of the rigging (i.e no return pass). Unhelpfully from my point of view, the details on the packaging are in imperial rather than metric units.

It reads Transluscent  Amber Minature Polymide Tubing, 29 AWG (?), 0.0113" ID, 0.0158" OD, 0.00225" Wall, 30" Length.

One remarkable thing was the packaging. Bearing in mind that it was just a single 30" strand I have never seen anything remotely as comprehensively packaged as this.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Paperquest

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 08:58:53 AM »
AWG is American Wire Guage.  I attached a chart I put together and a wire with the AWG of 29 is .0113 inches or .287mm.

I hope that helps.

Mack
An armed man is a citizen...an unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 09:58:50 AM »
Thanks, Mack. Very informative.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline eclarson

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 11:31:27 AM »
I have.  I used .010in (.25mm) inside diameter polyimide tubing to make turnbuckles on an Eduard 1/48 OEFFAG Albabtros

Here can be seen a couple on an aileron.  Line is 2.5 lb. fishing line anchored with Bob's Buckles.

Eric