Author Topic: Question about pre shading  (Read 1041 times)

Offline nmroberto

Question about pre shading
« on: March 15, 2015, 04:41:50 AM »
I'm getting ready to paint my Sopwith Tripe and have a question about preshading the underside of the wings which are CDL.

I've noticed that some people mask off the areas directly beneath each rib then put the shading on each side leaving a shadow beside the ribs.  In real life wouldn't the areas directly beneath the ribs be dark indicating a shadow there? 

Thanks for any advice either way.

Roberto
Robert

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Question about pre shading
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 05:45:24 AM »
Depends on the color scheme (cdl overall vs PC10/12 top surfaces) and lighting, Robert.  On all Tripes, except maybe the prototype, the rib tapes are lighter than the surrounding area.  Just go to the WNW website and pull up archival and color photos of British aircraft.  Pay particular attention to the wing undersurface photos.  Sopwith Triplane archival photos, second row down, second photo in from the left is a perfect example.  Also, SE5a color photos, 3rd row down, 4th and 5th in from let are classic examples.  Just browse the pics.  There are many more.  There are also some showing darker ribs, but those are mostly cdl or heavily back-lit.  All that aside, it just really boils down to what you think looks best.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 03:32:43 PM »
well said bud

Offline nmroberto

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 02:05:51 AM »
Thanks, the photos do show that the area under the rib is definitely lighter. It just seems that it would appear darker from the shadow of the ribs.
Robert