Author Topic: Hello from Bombay  (Read 1277 times)

richie2537

Hello from Bombay
« on: February 09, 2015, 07:12:17 PM »
Hi all. Richard here! Although I am a long-term Bombay resident, I'm actually Northern Irish. I've joined this forum because I'm a huge WW1 aviation/aero-modelling fan but also because I need some support from like-minded souls.

I am currently on a mission to get Lego to launch some of my World War 1 aircraft designs as kits. The way it works is that you submit your designs to the Lego Ideas website. If the design is approved, it is put up and then has one year to gather 10,000 supporters. If this is achieved, the design is reviewed and hopefully launched as a product. 10,000 is a lot of support to achieve, so hence my post... I currently have designs of twenty of my favorite WW1 aircraft on the site.

For me, the real challenge of working in Lego is to capture the spirit of the specific aircraft while juggling the constraints imposed by the medium itself (you have to work with pre-existing parts which were not designed for this application), part availability (there is always at least one part you wish you had but don’t), structural integrity and aesthetic issues. Trying to create a scale model using Lego presents a lot of challenges, but it is the challenge that makes it so addictive and satisfying. There are, of course limits to what is possible, but I believe I have been able to explore the boundaries and get as close to scale accuracy as the medium allows. 

I opted for a scale appropriate to my Lego pilot figures (approximately 1/22nd), because I feel that the addition of a figure is an important element and somehow this just seemed the natural scale to go for. With a smaller scale it is hard to achieve the modelling and detailing desired. A larger scale requires an inordinate number of parts, plus I think that some of the charm of the model’s compactness is lost. The entire series is to a standard scale, which makes them ideal as a set.

If you would like to add your support to this project then go to ideas.lego.com. You will need to create a personal Lego ID and then look for my WW1 aircraft projects (richie2537). Please support for the ones you like, or better still, just support all of them. Don’t forget to add some comments. All feedback is gratefully received.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Hello from Bombay
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 07:26:42 PM »
Hello Richard and welcome to the forum, so glad to have you here. That is a very interesting project you have taken on with the Lego Ideas, I hope you achieve your required number of votes for each of the models you have created, I will now go over and check them out.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

richie2537

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 09:55:11 PM »
Thanks Des. Really appreciated:) I see you like the Taube so here is my lego rendition

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 10:07:56 PM »
Welcome, Richie. I have just seen your Lego projects, very impressive. I hope you will be able to gather the required mark. I have left some support there, for a few of those which were already mostly supported. it would be really nice to see something else from Lego, than their Camel:
 http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Sopwith-Camel-10226
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

richie2537

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 01:25:55 AM »
Thanks for checking them out - I agree, it's time Lego released some new historical aviation models

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 03:36:44 AM »
Welcome Richard. Enjoy the forum

Steve

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 07:18:12 AM »
Hello Richard and welcome to this wonderful forum. That Camel is something else. Good luck with the venture.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline KitRookie37

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 03:43:03 PM »
Hello gentlemen,
Welcome Richard, Lego's lover.  ;)
Best regards.
Alain.
Use the force, Luke.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 10:30:40 PM »
Hi Richie, your Lego creations are really well done and I hope you get the 10,000 votes you need for all of them. It would make a terrific set imo.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 10:42:07 PM »
Welcome to the site  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 07:24:51 AM »
Welcome aboard, Richie!  Those Lego kits are brilliant.  I've added my support to all of them.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 07:47:02 AM »
Thanks Richard for the Taube, very well done and yes, it is one of my favorite aircraft. I had a look at and voted for most of your nodels, still got more to look at, they are all excellent.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

richie2537

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 06:28:33 PM »
What a great response! thank you all. I'm enjoying looking at what other members have done. I should say that I'm equally into scale kits as well as building flyable models. The Lego just happens to be a current project because I felt that no one had really done justice to the subject in that medium. I also think that given the centenary of the First World War, it could be a great way to communicate my passion for this era to as many of the younger generation as possible.

richie2537

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 06:32:56 PM »
p.s. you might find it easier to follow this link (though you still have to create a lego ID) https://ideas.lego.com/profile/Richie2537/projects

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 11:31:22 PM »
Hallo Richard, welcome to the forum!

I love Legos, although I don't have any...

Your creations are fantastic, therefore I signed to the website and voted some of your airplanes...

Ciao!!!!

Antonio