Author Topic: Fokker DR I tail question (roden)  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Softscience

Fokker DR I tail question (roden)
« on: December 14, 2014, 04:34:02 PM »
Hello all,

I'm still new to Great War modeling, so forgive what may seem like my silly question.

I started work on Roden's 1:32 fokker dr and as I began to fill the depression between the horizontal stabilizers I noticed the ridges marking where the control cables enter and emerge do not line up on the upper and lower surfaces. Should they? I understand that the contoll line would be angled, but as much as the kit suggests?

Also, are Rosen's aircraft decals any good? Having built some of their AFV kits, I ran into color density issues.

WarrenD

Re: Fokker DR I tail question (roden)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 02:53:52 AM »
Hey Softscience,
                         Yeah, aftermarket decals are your best bet if you want to be safe. I've not encountered their decals yet, but all of my friends that have done so have had mixed results at best.

What depression are you filling in?

Warren

Offline Softscience

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 03:00:49 AM »
Thanks guys.

Warren, I'm filling the wide trough between the two tailplanes. The part which forms the fuselage spine I guess.

WarrenD

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 03:30:11 AM »
OK, I don't have the Roden kit, so don't know the parts layout on the sprues. Interesting that they made that part in two halves, I didn't see that one coming.

Warren

PS: Shouldn't you be building something in 1/72nd? (Shhhhh, I'll not tell.  ;) ;) 8) 8) )

Offline Softscience

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 03:33:49 AM »
No, its one part. I must be explaining it wrong. Ill take a photo later.

Yep...1/72 is superb for more recent aircraft, but I wanted to tear my hair out trying to rig a 1/72 biplane :)

WarrenD

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 03:55:24 AM »
OK!  I've got it now!  ;D ;D  I was being a dullard. I understand the issue at this point. (FWIW and as an aside Softscience, the Eduard 1/72nd Tripe is a gem of a kit, hardly any rigging to it.)

After this Tripe, treat yourself to a WNW kit. I haven't built one yet, only recently purchased one, but in terms of 1/32nd scale WWI kits, they're a luxury.

Warren