Author Topic: Laminated props on german fighters  (Read 976 times)

Offline vincentm

Laminated props on german fighters
« on: November 27, 2014, 10:52:22 AM »
I couldn't find any pic of a german fighter with a plain wood prop, they all seem to be laminated. Was this a necessary construction method or were there also one-piece props made from only one type of wood?

Offline IanB

Re: Laminated props on german fighters
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 11:08:42 AM »
I've never seen any wooden prop, of any era, that was only one piece. That's not to say they don't exist, but lamination adds a lot of strength......

Ian

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 02:01:33 PM »
Yep all laminated, but sometimes using the same wood
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 03:11:58 PM »
just like jamo says all props are laminated, most props that look one color is because the laminations are the same type wood and or a stain was used. the german props the early ones on eindeckers and such were stained so they look more uniform. later 2 diff types of wood were used and only a clear varnish so the laminations were more obvious.

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 03:53:59 PM »
If you want to know some more about the production of wooden propellers during WW1 then Bob Gardener over at Aeroclocks.com has a very good series of books on the British and German companies who manufactured them. The books are illustrated with many colour photographs of surviving propellers.

They are a very good reference for modellers.

Offline vincentm

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 12:42:26 PM »
Thank you all. I've just made 4 props from various brands for my WIP diorama and wanted to know if I could let one or two in overall light wooden color. As the subjects are late war german fighters, it doesn't seem to be a good idea. It looks like I'll have to paint laminations on all of them.