Author Topic: Dilthey's DVa - double ring sight customisation?  (Read 1011 times)

Offline pierrelm

Dilthey's DVa - double ring sight customisation?
« on: November 28, 2014, 05:20:23 AM »
Dear all
 the attached (ISP willing) picture, showing Helmut Dilthey seated in his famous DVa  is reproduced in the Osprey 'Albatros Aces of WWI' on p64, with the caption '...two ring sights on each gun'.

Can anyone shed any light as to how/what and why and offer some sort of explanation? I assume this was a field modification and as such a near unique customisation but as I know practically nothing I'd be delighted if someone could offer some (ahem) insight.

Many thanks, Peter

WarrenD

Re: Dilthey's DVa - double ring sight customisation?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 11:25:04 PM »
Peter it looks to me that there are two ring sights, one on each weapon at the end of the cooling jacket (which was standard), BUT he has also had an Oigee telescopic sight installed.

HTH, FWIW,

Warren

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 01:44:35 AM »
One per gun, I think it's the angle of the shot gives an illusion of two. The lump under the right hand sight is the timing gear housing and decompression lever for the engine. So IMHO it' just an optical illusion.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 02:14:26 AM »
Peter,
   I just caught this Thread..............I went through the same confusion several years back, same Osprey book, same subject. After much searching and study of the photo in question my conclusions were the same as Keith's and my "Dilthey" Eduard DVa has one ring sight per gun and the Oigee sight. I like the Osprey books however I've learned through experience to take their colour and detail info cautiously. I just went through another such exercise on some DH2 details and, no surprise, found the solution in the membership here :o.
    Good luck with your Albie, what kit are you doing?  As an aside, there's an outstanding model of the green/white striped Dilthey DVa by Michael Terfors over on the Aeroscale Site, his research and modelling skills are incredibly well done.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline pierrelm

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 03:54:22 AM »
Hello one and all
 thank you very much for your consideration(s) - phew, I'm pleased at the conclusion you've collectively reached as that's actually what it looked like to my untutored eye, but I'm no expert, so when in doubt, ask...

Lance, thanks for the 'heads up' re. the Dilthey model on the other site - I'll certainly give that a look.
I'm using the standard WNW DVa. To me,this machine appears to have pale blue rib tapes on what appears to be a Johannistal (excuse spelling?) machine with a Wolff a/s, so unless I can find anything definitive to the contrary that's how it will be made.
I'm now advancing in years and with two young teenage daughters, have precious little time for model making, but the old 'Pegasus' 1/72 kit was the one which actually got me back into modelling many years back as it just struck me as looking simply lovely, with the Saxon-green bands.
I don't buy many kits but when WNW brought out the D.Va, it became a 'must have'. I'm not a gifted modeller and sit slack jawed at some of the dexterity shown around here, but half the fun is doing the research to bring the types to life as it were.
Much obliged,
Peter

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 05:24:15 AM »
Peter,
    First, nice Avatar, a great Canadian he was and such a shame he died so young. FWIW I just checked the notes I used years back for my 1:48 version; blue rib tapes and a Wolff prop is what I concluded as well. One area of debate I discovered was the upper wing cross fields which I did in a very pale green in the end based on some conclusion I found I "know not where"!
    It's a magnificent scheme, and the WNW Kit is a joy to work with for the most part. Enjoy your Build and I'm looking forward to following your progress.
Cheers,
Lance