Author Topic: Throw-Back Thursday or why I like to build Aircraft models  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Galloway

about 46 years ago give or take........ with my mother .... my Father or maybe Charles Hubbell was the photographer .....

These photos were taken at the Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum in Cleveland, Ohio my parents were personal friends of Charles Hubbell of aviation art fame who had his office at the Museum...... I still remember him lifting me up so I could touch the laminated propeller that hung above his desk when I was just a toddler ...... 
I still have many of the prints he gave me and a spiral bound booklet with all his artwork in it .....

a few years later! That's me holding a Fokker D.VII model that my father built for me and a few friends with their builds ...... my father was a bit upset with me when I later poked bullet holes all over the D.VII that he spent so much time painting lozenge on the tissue covering.... Scratch-built or maybe a Comet or Gulliows kit???? Seems too small though and Dad usually built everything from plans??? He got over it with a laugh and a story about how he got in hot water for flying a Stuka model he built out of the attic after he and some friends lit it on fire as a teenager..... LOL

Ken

My father and one of his scratch-built aircraft .

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 07:44:04 AM by Galloway »
"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Throw-Back Thursday or why I like to build Aircraft models
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 12:55:59 PM »
Ken,

Very neat Post, and your Dad did very nice work; all the more so given what was available to him "way back then"!!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 01:23:29 PM »
Yeah, great post Ken, ditto what Lance said. Looks like your old man took it as srs bznz. Those models would not be out of place here.

And Rick the pic with you & your uncle is priceless.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 01:40:16 PM »
very cool ken , i remember when you posted your dads stuff on the old aerodrome, great stuff. guys like your father are the reason we have what we have today in modelling. my dad was an alcoholic postman .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 07:47:53 PM »
Ken, I seem to remember seeing pictures of your fathers models on the Drome? Cool Stuff! Thanks for sharing.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 10:10:39 PM »
Lovely moments, Ken.

I so wish that I had some photos of my late father working alongside me, showing me how to put those Airfix kits together.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 02:02:18 AM »
Very cool stuff, Ken!  I also recall a thread you did on you father's model back on the 'drome.  His work was extraordinary in detail and accuracy.  Could you post some more of his models?
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Galloway

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 05:51:04 AM »
Thanks Everyone.....

Here are those photos of some of my Dad's work all scratch-built 1/16th scale  ..... been getting into the photos lately and hoping to find some of his artwork I have on slides somewhere around here ...... My father serverd in the Navy late in WWII on the Destroyer USS Perkins DD 877 these photos of the Perkins were taken in 1946 and I would come along 17 years later .....  ;)  and the photo of my mother which if she was still living she would shoot me for posting was taken during WWII .........she was 18.......... 

"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 07:38:55 AM »
You certainly come by it honestly, Ken.  Your Dad was quite the modeller.
I really think the pictures are great.  Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline mgunns

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 04:44:40 AM »
Hi Ken:

Great photos.  These are neat to see these here.  I noticed that the P-47 inside landing gear doors are natural metal.  Didn't they know they were supposed to painted interior green or zinc oxide?  I would disqualify that model.   Who is the guy pictured with your mom?  He is wearing what looks to be an enlisted Army uniform.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Galloway

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 05:08:44 AM »
Hello Mark,

The guy with my mother was her boyfriend at the time she was guessing or without actually counting  :) about 17-18 years old at the time Yes it is Army
..... P-47??? You mean the Fokker D.VII ??? LOL
 Yes I noticed that but back in the 60's he didn't have windsock data files to look at.... actually the Fokker D.VIII he built that you see in the photos had a lozenge covered wing.... it is what people thought at the time.... that the plywood was covered with fabric which would have made for a very strong structure .... I swear I have a photo some-where of a Fokker D.VIII with lozenge fabric covered wing....   

Ken
"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline mgunns

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 05:23:52 AM »
I swear I have a photo some-where of a Fokker D.VIII with lozenge fabric covered wing....   

Ken

Well you know Ken:  Aurora's original boxing of the DVIII box art had it totally covered in lozenge, so you know there had to be one somewhere!   ;)

Your dad did amazing work!  It looks like he was rather prolific as well.  I remember my disappointment when I bought the Aurora DVIII that there were no lozenge decals to cover that metallic green plastic!  I like the one with you and your buds too.  Brings back memories of the kids in my neighborhood showing off their latest creations.  Keep 'em coming. 
Mark

We few, we happy few.....