Author Topic: Finally some time at the bench!  (Read 1229 times)

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
Finally some time at the bench!
« on: March 18, 2013, 11:12:51 AM »
After about three months of not having a single spare moment to just sit down and build, I was able to clock in a solid three hours this afternoon. It was glorious! I was just trimming and sanding parts, what might normally be considered tedious, but man, I enjoyed every second.

I don't yoga / chant / stand on my head, so sitting at the bench for a few hours listening to a good podcast is about as close as I get to meditation. Not having much time to take away from kids / work / family / life makes it all the more enjoyable.

No real point to the post. Just thought that I'd share and see if anyone else out there has had a good build day lately, whether coming off a hiatus or not. It's nice to be on such a friendly forum that a guy doesn't feel entirely stupid sharing something like this.

Hoping this finds you well, 

Lindsay

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Finally some time at the bench!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 11:34:07 AM »
Right on Lindsay. The trick is to to find the satisfaction from the "boring" stuff  ;)

I spent all day painting a magneto...

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 01:24:38 PM »
You are so right Lindsay; it's almost like the old joke about how good your head feels after you stop beating it against the wall. My casual not so very much part time open schedule informal retirement job found me working 18 of 19 days; the one day break I managed two hours for the model bench and got some decalling and spraying done on my Group Build Project, it was like a weight off my body! I need to get better at this "retirement thing" as this is everything but of late...personal problem for sure!
Point is we are very fortunate to have an "out" from everyday problems and stress; some folks don't get the opportunity.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 05:09:59 PM »
Share away Lindsay!
I'm envious you managed to get the time at all. Since my job changed a bit last year, the kids changed schools, my wife resigned from her job and other issues, I hardly even have the time to visit the forum :(
It's two steps forward, one back at the moment.....sometimes three back on some issues....

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline michael

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 07:46:29 PM »
Great to see you back at it Lindsay  :)

i take it your working on the pup?

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 08:38:55 AM »
Good to hear that you were able to shoehorn in some time at the bench. It's not always easy to do when family and work gets in the way. Now that I'm retired, it isn't the issue it was when the family was young, and shiftwork sapped my enthusiasm for just about everything.

I've been enjoying my time after finishing my Bristol Fighter with a straight OOB AFV build and am enjoying the change of pace. I made a mistake yesterday, in that I forgot a painting step, so today I stripped off the paint and re-painted the four offending parts . . . repeating the original mistake for the second time in a row! Now that bench time is readily available, I just shook my head in disbelief and started stripping paint for a second time. This time though, I've placed the can of hairspray front and centre on the bench so I don't forget to use it again tomorrow.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 08:55:35 AM »
Can't say I havn't made the same omission/mistake several times as well Chris; in my case it could be considered normal and expected. (If I can't "take shots" at my age, no one can!) Worst of all, I even tried "chipping" the cowling of my Pup and couldn't understand why it didn't work for some time....................til like you I spotted the bottle of hairspray sitting right where it was put to use 4 steps back.
Cheers,
...........................................oh, yeah, I'm Lance! ;) ::)

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 11:04:30 AM »
I have a high stress job (who doesn't?) and time at the bench is a great stress reliever. Even if the project doesn't look as good on the shelf as it did in my head when I bought it, the time spent was well worth it.

Offline michael

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 07:28:52 PM »
I have a high stress job (who doesn't?) and time at the bench is a great stress reliever. Even if the project doesn't look as good on the shelf as it did in my head when I bought it, the time spent was well worth it.

how true is that! anything i do never comes close to the picture of it i have in my head.

for me it's a case of putting my frustations to one side and moving on, with the hope that i can learn and get better.(with my fingers firmly crossed  :))

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

mike in calif

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 11:35:24 PM »
I'm finally getting bench time and actually finishing a project!