Author Topic: Hi ... forgive me the intrusion!  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Hugger61

• Nemo me Impune Lacessit
Hi ... forgive me the intrusion!
« on: March 13, 2013, 07:49:27 PM »
Greatings everybody,

Just joined the forum ... I used to be a "keen" modeller (ww2 planes ...tanks)  when I was a youngster  ... recently... (age 51  ;D) the "modelling"  passion has  rekindled... and what's more I'm proud to say,  I was able to "drag" my 7 year old son from behind his computer and got him interested into the hoby as well ... !

Now regarding my experience towards ww1 plane modelling ... "zilch" ... ;)  I know that as a Kid I made a model of Roy brown's Sopwith Camel ... can't remember the scale or the manufacturing company though ...  I seem to remember  a pilot's figurine depicting Roy Brown came along with the model ... think it was from Airfix ... I know in those days they cameout in a Series of three all  famous aces (a.o. Rickenbacker ...Von Richthoffen)... can't remember for sure  ... anyway I'm back, got my modelling room and material set up again ...  and ready to give it a go !

Don't ask me what has drawn me towards these "vintage WW1 contraptions"   ... I just can't explain ... there is "something" about these planes , an "athmosphere" of chivalry and dignity  ... but that is off course something I don't have to convince you off guys  ;) ... and formost ... I am here to learn !!

Hugh

"When over the enemy's lines never forget your own line of retreat ..."
                                        -Oswald Boelcke-

Offline rhallinger

Re: Hi ... forgive me the intrusion!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 08:18:36 PM »
Welcome Hugh!  Your story sounds very familiar.  This is definately a place to learn and improve your skills building vintage aircraft.  Jump in and ask lots of questions--someone here invariably has the answers or some good ideas!  Egos are in check here, so don't be shy. ;)  Enjoy and happy building! ;D

Regards,

Bob

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 08:21:15 PM »
Hi Hugh;

Welcome to the forum, you've come to the right place to learn, there are some great guys on the forum and they are all more than willing to help, just ask, remember the only daft question is the one you don't ask, enjoy.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 09:24:05 PM »
Welcome aboard Hugh; coming back to the Hobby in later life seems to be a very common thread and I think you'll enjoy it more then in the past. This is a great Forum; lots of info and very good people. Enjoy!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 09:49:57 PM »
Hello Hugh and welcome to the forum, it is so good to see you here. Please ask as many questions as you like, there are many very talented people here and all are willing to share their knowledge, we are a very friendly bunch.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 10:28:42 PM »
Welcome aboard Hugh! I know I've learned a lot here so I'm sure you will too.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 11:25:13 PM »
Hello Hugh,
 Welcome to the forum.
There is much to learn from within these virtual walls - take your time!  ;)

von Buckle  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline michael

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 01:08:29 AM »
Hello Hugh and welcome - this is a great site

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 01:14:32 AM »
  Hugh,
Welcome aboard my friend and we're all glad to have you as a member. Never be concerned about asking questions here.You'll fine your fellow members ready and very willing to be of help to you. Looking froward to seeing your project posted here soon.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 02:36:08 AM »
Welcome to the forum and to the enchanting world of Great War modeling.  You came back to the hobby at just the right time.  This great forum is now available to us, WNW is in full production mode and there is a greater variety of WWI subjects in all scales than ever before.  Enjoy.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 04:08:27 AM »
Welcome Hugh. Enjoy the site.

Steve

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 07:50:30 PM »
Belated hello and welcome Hugh  :)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice