Author Topic: 1/28 Revell Fokker DVII (OAW)  (Read 952 times)

Offline DaveB

1/28 Revell Fokker DVII (OAW)
« on: October 21, 2023, 09:27:31 PM »
All,

I built this old Revell kit 10 years ago and always felt I could do it better justice.   Earlier in the year, come across this kit on Ebay which was completely sealed and managed to win the bid at 30 quid.

Finally got around to tackling it and completed yesterday night.  I wanted to tackle the kit errors on the fuselage (too deep and wide) and upper wing which has a distinct 'bow' to the upper half.  Unfortunately, I did not have any scale drawings so undertook this project by 'eye' and with a fair bit of trial and error.  Therefore, this completed model is still not 100% correct.   I have ended up reducing a bit too much in terms of depth but this only became clear later in the build when it was too late to alter.

I  I have tried to use as much of the existing kit parts as possible by just altering and enhancing as necessary.  I started by filing away the molded details on inner fuselage cockpit area.  Once done, I then added some lozenge decal (then lightly painted over to appear faded as would be seen from inside) and then scratch built the the fuel pressure pump, mixture control quadrant, cockpit framing and adding the bracing and control wires.   I also enhanced the existing instrument panel and seat with cushion (made from Milliput) and seat harness knocked up from old takeaway menu.

Cut down and cut out excess plastic of the fuselage and used plastic sheet to replace the bottom of the fuselage.  Much time was then spent, cutting, filing and filing until I was happy with the shape and surface finish.  This also include having to now cut down width of horizontal stabiliser and tiding up to ensure proper fit on fuselage.  Displaced the elevator for dynamic look.

Added basic details to kit 08/15 MG's, rebuilt the cover over the fuel guage ( half a section of 1/72 bomb from my spares box), and added windshield.  Very basic details made to engine by separating the intake manifold, adding oil pump, enlarging the opening (using some large pieces of sprue glued, filed and opened up) and the MG flash guards above engine.

Replaced the underside fuselage lacing and altered the underside of the nose to give appearance of separate chin cowl and the missing inspection panels made up from thin plastic sheet.

Decided to paint in the colours of Erich Loewenhardt's machine.   Ordered some underwing lozenge from 'Aviatic' being the only aftermarket used on this build.   The fuselage crosses were spare 1/48 decals from my spares box.  All other decals used are from the standard kit.

Altered upper wing top section reducing the bow shape and reposed ailerons and painted propeller to resemble laminated wood.  Rigging accomplished using 'Pryme' knitting elastic for control cables and 3lb fishing line for bracing wires.  Eyelets and tubes self made using twisted copper wire and empty ball pen ink tube stretched over candle.

Model (as always for me) entirely brush painted and some very light weathering using artist pastels.  In all, this was a six week (enjoyable) project.

I appreciate others on this forum have also undertaken the same project with far better and accurate results, but I am still pleased with the outcome.

Regards

Dave

As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Davos522

Re: 1/28 Revell Fokker DVII (OAW)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 12:12:50 AM »
Beautiful job, Dave, and congratulations on triumphing over a project that's been known to make strong men weep. Love the colors, and the interior & motor are gems. Years ago I emailed my friend Steve Perry from the WWIMML that I was thinking of tackling this kit and the corrections needed, and he sent back a five word reply; Why not just shoot yourself?

Should anyone else be thinking of attempting this build let me know, I have an article in an old Fine Scale Modeler with drawings and dimensions on the surgery required.

Dutch

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2023, 02:01:46 AM »
Having seen this in the different stages of construction, I can only write that this is a great success, in spite of the minor inaccuracies which you mention but hardly anyone would notice. The colour scheme is striking and the lozenge looks just right to me. The extra details that you have added are first class. This one is a true winner Dave and you deserve all of the praise that you will get for this.

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2023, 06:31:30 AM »
Bravo Dave, something I believe many (including myself) have thought about doing but never quite around to. She looks terrific! Great colour scheme choice too.
Zac in NZ

Offline DaveB

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2023, 03:32:05 AM »
Thank you all kindly, gents!

Beautiful job, Dave, and congratulations on triumphing over a project that's been known to make strong men weep. Love the colors, and the interior & motor are gems. Years ago I emailed my friend Steve Perry from the WWIMML that I was thinking of tackling this kit and the corrections needed, and he sent back a five word reply; Why not just shoot yourself?

Should anyone else be thinking of attempting this build let me know, I have an article in an old Fine Scale Modeler with drawings and dimensions on the surgery required.

Dutch

Thanks, Dutch - I really appreciate what you say here as it makes me feel even better regarding my efforts and result!

Regards

Davew

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2023, 03:54:42 PM »
A very fine effort on this oldie! Congratulations and thanks for sharing.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2023, 02:53:33 AM »
When this kit came out I had high hopes. Ok Revell, you're sticking with your classic 1/28 scale....what a disaster....you have made good on Revell's mess. Very sharp scheme!

Steve

Offline NigelR

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2023, 06:51:53 PM »
Wow, a trip down memory lane. You made a darn good job of this one, it really looks the part.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2023, 09:54:32 PM »
I think the results of your work look very good, even if off somewhat.  And the color scheme is very eye catching.
Well done.

Offline Radarman

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2023, 11:13:36 PM »
Dave,
It's nice to see another one of the Revell kit completed. I had fun building mine a few years ago.
The yellow fuselage really stands out. I'm surprised Revell hasn't re-released this kit despite it's shortcomings.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline macsporran

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2023, 06:39:11 PM »
Lots of work on that one Dave - you're a brave man!
Great result though.
Sandy

Offline ModelCellar

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2023, 09:41:04 AM »
Nice job.  I have several of these on my shelf in my collection and have been 'threatening' to build one.  Maybe if I look at yours long enough it will push me over the edge =).
Paul

Offline DaveB

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2023, 02:38:26 AM »
Thank you all kindly, gents!

Regards

Dave

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2023, 04:29:20 AM »
Nicely Done !  Glad to see some others work on the Old Revell Kits.  Have one myself on the back burner. If I had Sir PJ's money I would have started WNW in !/28

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2023, 05:01:47 AM »
Lessee... in 1:28 the wingspan of the big Felixstowe would've been 41", give or take  ;D

But it sure would've been cool.

Dutch