Author Topic: Your Go-To Paint for CDL  (Read 793 times)

Offline WD

Your Go-To Paint for CDL
« on: July 15, 2023, 10:39:30 PM »
Forumites,
                 What is your favorite(s) paint for CDL in the Tamiya or Gunze paint range?

Thanks!

Warren
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 11:28:01 PM by WD »

Online RAGIII

Re: Your G-To Paint for CDL
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2023, 12:54:44 AM »
Warren,
I sent an answer to your PM on Facebook but will answer here as well. When using Tamiya I start with a Desert Yellow or Buff color. I then proceed to lighten with white until I like the results. The initial coats are sprayed with progressively lighter versions. On My two latest I tried something a bit different. After the initial Tamiya I used a Highly thinned Mixture of Valejo Desert Yellow and white brushed on and worked into the Tamiya paints. Then Oils used to dirty it all up  ::) Sounds Harder than it is.
RAGIII

PS: The short Answer is Tamiya Buff or Desert Yellow lightened with white  8)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 01:18:53 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2023, 08:11:27 AM »
Hi Warren,

I used to use Gunze "Sail Colour" but I always thought this looked a little too 'browny-grey'. Nowadays I use Gunze "Radome" lightened with a little bit of white; I find this has a little more 'creamy-yellow' (all great technical terms I know!). Here's what the lightened radome comes out like:

The above are acrylics. I am generally starting to switch over to acrylic lacquers for my paints (SMS, AK etc), but I am yet to look for something in this medium, so I too would welcome thoughts from anyone.

Cheers,

BC
Owner and Administrator
forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline WD

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2023, 11:27:36 PM »
Thank you very much Rick and Brad! I thought the question universal enough that others might wonder the same thing, so I felt the thread here wouldn't be out of place.

I'm using acrylic lacquers right now myself, so I was interested in getting something in that range.

Rick, apologies for bombarding you with this yesterday, but we were going to a movie, and I had a chance to drop by the hobby shop to pick up some tape and paint and wanted a recommendation while I was out. (I had the buff, but picked up a bottle of the desert yellow to put in my paint arsenal.)

Brad, I'm going to have to find some "Radome" to put in my arsenal. Can one have too many colors for CDL?  I think not!  8) ;D

I'm going to make some mixes in bottles for future use.

Warren

Online Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
Re: Your Go-To Paint for CDL
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2023, 09:03:51 PM »
“Can one have too many colors for CDL?“

Not at all Warren!  Just like anything else related to WWI colors, CDL has many variations. Unbleached vs bleached linen and different “dope” ingredients made for a wide variety of coloration.

Cheers,
Tim

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2023, 10:38:18 PM »
I like CDL, there is no ”correct” colour as it varied and weathered, just paint till you like how it looks. I use Vallejo modell air acrylics, usually start with black or Tan primer, then use Aged White, Hemp and a creamy yellow I forgot the name of.  I speay several thinned layers of mixes of said colours. Ribs, panel-like objects, etc (if any) are eithet pre-shaded with grey/black or dark yellow (freehand or masked), or similar suitable method.

Offline WD

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 01:46:43 AM »
I like CDL, there is no ”correct” colour as it varied and weathered, just paint till you like how it looks.

So very true, it's quite variable, ergo why I was curious about what most folks liked to use. That way I, and others who are curious, kind of have a base to work off of when finding what suits us.

Thanks for adding to this!

Warren

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2023, 09:42:12 PM »
I usually use Tamiya racing white spray lacquer as the base color.  Being a lacquer, any other paints can go over it.  It's a bit on the light side, so with additional layers of paint, it comes out a reasonably good color.