Author Topic: Roden DH.2 1/32  (Read 11158 times)

Offline AndrewS

Roden DH.2 1/32
« on: December 20, 2017, 03:20:12 AM »
Hi!

Back to the forum with a new thread after long time.
I've never ceased to follow, but I had some busy times, so no time to take pictures and upload  on the forum.

Back to topic...

Model: 1/32 Roden DH2 - kit number 612

Aftermarket: eduard PE 32645

Paints: MrPaint, Tamiya, Lifecolor

Why choose a Roden kit when there's a Wingnut one?
Well, first of all it's out of production and only available on a duellists box,
and second because once in a while it's good to stay away from the shake and bake kits and save some money!

Lets see a bit of content ( if you have probem seeing the images let me know, I've uploaded to a personal web space):

Box cover ( I like it a lot):

Sprues:

Main parts, some nice details with some flash:

I think I see some ejector marks, can you see them? [biggrin]

But details are pretty good. You can see also a comparison with Wingnut weapons. I'll see if it's worth to scratch the support to use the wingnut one.

Other details

Wings. Not bad. the detail is subtle but it's there.

Sprue with tail booms and other bits.

Engine (I'll see if replace with a taurus one):

Decals.... The blue it's completely wrong I think (a comparison with a more realistic blue), I'll apint the roundels and I'll see others how they will go on...

Instructions. Very basic.

Pe from Eduard. There's also a prepainted fret, I'll show it to you during the build.

That's all for content. A good base, but it definitely needs some wor.
I've not decided the scheme yet, I'll show it to you in next post.

The first work is to prepare some parts for the build.
The tail booms are supposed to be joined to the wings and tailplane with a butt joint... not a good idea!!!

So I've drilled both the booms terminal and insertion ponts on wing and tailplane with a 0.5 mm drill.
Then I'll insert a piece of copper wire to give some strenght to the join and have some reference ponts when Iì'll join all.

That's all for today.
In the next posts I'll show you some major surgery [biggrin]

Happy modelling!

Andrew

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Re: Roden DH.2 1/32
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 04:31:57 AM »
Nice selection Andrew (the WNW Duellist boxing is also OOP).  Looks like a great beginning to this little fellow.  Looking forward to your updates and treatment.  Pulling up a chair.   :D

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 04:52:10 AM »
I always enjoy watching a pusher being put together so I will be in the front row too. Looking forward to more.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 01:19:52 PM »
    You are taking on a real challenge here Andrew. Don't forget Des has a complete build of this model in the Gallery here and Bob's Buckles website has an outstanding tutorial on the very complex rigging that could save you a lot of angst! I'm looking forward to following your progress, one of my favorite WW.I Aircraft!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline rayb24

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 01:50:31 PM »
This will be interesting to watch, good luck
Ray

Offline mgunns

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 03:40:19 PM »
Roden kits get a lot of bad press these days.  It's good to see someone tackling one.  I am looking forward to your build of this kit.  I recently did their Sopwith Triplane and it turned out pretty decent.  Keep modeling on
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 09:44:11 PM »
    You are taking on a real challenge here Andrew. Don't forget Des has a complete build of this model in the Gallery here and Bob's Buckles website has an outstanding tutorial on the very complex rigging that could save you a lot of angst! I'm looking forward to following your progress, one of my favorite WW.I Aircraft!
Cheers,
Lance

Yes, I saw Des build, very useful.

About the bob's buckle tutorial: I can't find the page, can someone please help me?  ::)

Andrew

Offline rayb24

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 11:00:48 PM »
I think this is the page you are looking for, but I’m not sure if the PDF is still live
http://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/dh2_rigging_guide.html

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 11:30:22 PM »
I think this is the page you are looking for, but I’m not sure if the PDF is still live
http://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/dh2_rigging_guide.html

yes, looks like the pdf it's not avilable anymore.

No problem, I'll use WnW instructions.

Thanks! ;)

P.s.
Found direct link  http://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/files/dh2_rigging.pdf

Online RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 01:05:36 AM »
Cheers,
Lance

Yes, I saw Des build, very useful.

About the bob's buckle tutorial: I can't find the page, can someone please help me?  ::)

Andrew

First let me say that your build is starting out terrific. Nice work on preparing the booms to be pinned to the wings!
 I am looking forward to the next phase of the build! Finally I feel I should Mention that the Tutorial on Bobs site was done by 3D artist Tim West and posted on Bobs site with Permission. Tim originally posted this on the Aerodrome Forum IIRC.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 02:46:33 AM »
Hi!

I've decided the scheme.

She'll be 7851.

Nice mix of natural linen and painted surfaces, lower left wing taken form another plane, well worn and a few pictures are available.
Plus is one scheme proposed also by Wingnut, so I have some details about her.
I think that I'll use only the tail code from decals and other things will all be painted.

Time for the first major work.

On the real plane the nacelle's sides where covered with canvas.
Roden offers completely flat sides, while on the pictures of the real plane you can see ripples, the underlying structures and other things.
So I've decided to remove the plastic between the wood structure and replace it with thin metal foil.

This is where I'm at the moment. Still some clean up to do, then I'll start to paint the inside of nacelles.
The stitching will be replaced by the Eduard PE one.

that's all.

In the next post I'll go on with the interior

Bye

Andrew

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 02:51:53 AM »
Hi!

Some updates:

I went on with fuselage.
I scratch built a floor for the cockpit with plasticard, because would be impossible to fill the seam on the floor once assembled.

Then I've looked at the point where the struts go into the fuselage. In this area the cowling is made from thin metal, so I've decided to open the hole and thin the edges, leaving an area where to glue the strut... I hope it will be enough! I've also added a plate on the rear missing from the model. At this stage I've painted the fuselage frame in wood color, but it's wrong. In the mean time I've recovered the windsock datafile from my parentìs house, so I know that all the wood parts where painted grey... I'll correct it.

The plates on the back must be connected to the frame with a smooth transition. I've used some milliput, yet to sand smooth.

In the Eduar PE set there's a nice plate that goes on the fuselage front, so I've removed the plastic area and thinned the edges.

while working on the fuselage I've also added a plastic strip to the edge. In real life this parts where made from metal and the edges where "curled up" ( I don't know the technical term).
Will be sanded thinner at a later stage.

I've started to detail some of the accessories.
I've replaced the ROden MG with one from a WnW kit. Not a massive difference, but a little bit better.
I've added Eduard PE.

I've started the assembly of the cockpit.
I've added PE instruments form Eduard and made wood floor with plasticard painted with oil technique.
Some little things to fix (the color of compass bezel, the small wood sphere and the seam on the vertical bar...), but I'm quite satisfied.

Some oil weathering added

Fuselage interior painted grey with some rigging added.

And finally a test fit

That's all!
A pleasant build so far!

Andrew

Offline Borsos

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 03:24:21 AM »
Wow, that one looks really cool. I will follow this build patiently as I love the DH2 and this promises to become a great model. to replace the plastic canvas with lead foil is obviously a good idea.
Best regards
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 03:34:47 AM »
Outstanding progress, your skills are shining through.  You definitely did not need a WNW to commence, this is turning out to be one beauty.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 03:49:30 AM »
This is modelling, or rather Modelling with capital M! Great efforts so far!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.