Author Topic: WnW 1/32 Fokker E.IV "Oswald Boelke"  (Read 2863 times)

Offline gedmundson

Re: WnW 1/32 Fokker E.IV "Oswald Boelke"
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2023, 02:34:21 AM »
Richie, Rick and Tim - thanks  :)

Breathtaking work Gary!  I’m using your post as reference for my current project. I like the scheme you chose and the turned metal looks amazing!

All the best,
Tim

Tim - I'm happily following your build on the E.III, so happy that your finding some use with my posts!

The rigging is continued in the following photos, using EZ-Line anchored to small copper loops made around a small drill bit and glued into deeper holes drilled into the plastic surface (deeper than the marks that are molded on the kit).

I'm using a combination of turnbuckles, depending on how they look in the period photos. I had to order 1/32 Gaspatch metal turnbuckles for the ones on the wings - they appeared much bigger. The small ones near the cowlings are the 1/48 resin ones. I need to buy more of them - the line threads through the holes much easier than the metal ones which have a lot of residue in them which is very hard to remove. Despite it's complex look, the rigging on this aircraft is very straightforward and one of the easiest jobs of most of the WnW builds I've done.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2023, 12:52:22 AM »
Now that the rigging has been completed, I thought I was more or less done. The aircraft did feature a spinner on the prop at some point - but I decided it not to add it since the one in the kit isn't blunt enough, and I also am not impressed with how it looked. But I kept seeing little things that needed attention to the weathering. After studying some "finished" photos I always see something that needs improving to actually call the model complete. And then take more pictures...and repeat. Here's a photo of the model before all that, and I'll hopefully post some in the Completed section soon.
Gary

« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 02:53:21 AM by gedmundson »

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2023, 07:04:24 PM »
I really enjoyed following this build Gary, thanks for taking us along for the ride - I've bookmarked this for inspiration when I eventually get my hands on an E.III.
Zac in NZ

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2023, 03:31:07 AM »
I really enjoyed following this build Gary, thanks for taking us along for the ride - I've bookmarked this for inspiration when I eventually get my hands on an E.III.

Thanks for that, Zac. I'm pressing on with Immelmann's E.II and hope to get a few pics posted in a new thread soon. I've altered my procedure for doing the turned aluminum on the cowlings for my next build, and think it's a bit better looking. Hopefully you can obtain an E.III - I do see a few guys trying to purge their "stash" once in a while so opportunities do come up!
Cheers,
Gary

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2023, 02:23:12 PM »
Hopefully you can obtain an E.III - I do see a few guys trying to purge their "stash" once in a while so opportunities do come up!
I live in hope: having seen a full scale repro fly earlier this year, and another soon to fly at my local field, I've found myself rather taken by the type!
Zac in NZ

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2023, 11:40:22 PM »
Beautiful work Gary. I’m looking forward to seeing the E.II build. 

All the best,
Tim

Offline RichieW

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2023, 06:07:04 PM »
After studying some "finished" photos I always see something that needs improving to actually call the model complete. And then take more pictures...and repeat. Here's a photo of the model before all that, and I'll hopefully post some in the Completed section soon.
Gary

This level of patience and attention to details is why your models are ALWAYS so beautifully finished. I'm looking forward to seeing more finished pictures. Now we can all look forward to seeing Immelmann's  EII too. :)

Richie

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2023, 09:48:54 PM »
Must admit I have been looking through some of your build logs and they always impress me. You always have something new to share and give to everyone - thank you for this!

And the model ofc is stunning!  :)
//Ben

Offline AlbertD

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2023, 12:33:21 PM »
Absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing your build.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2023, 08:15:31 PM »
As always I am impressed with your work Gary.

All the single color themes look so realistic when you wave your magic wand over it. And the detailing is beautifully executed! Again!

Cheers,
Willem