Author Topic: Wingnut Wings announces a Sopwith Camel kit in development  (Read 7473 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: Wingnut Wings announces a Sopwith Camel kit in development
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 02:06:41 PM »
A Sopwith Camel is a logical and very astute marketing move by Wingnut Wings because this subject will define the company's image in the eyes of that mass of mainstream, non- WW1 modellers which Wingnuts hopes to attract to its products. The Camel and the Fokker DR.1 define WW1 aircraft to non WW1 enthusiasts - they are the Me 109 and Spitfire of their era and all successful model companies have a Spit and 109 in their inventory.

The Camel of course lends itself to commercial spinoffs, the 2F.1 naval Camel, the Sopwith Comic Nightfighter which means more commercial mileage from the moulds.

Wingnuts should be loudly applauded for doing a Camel because the sales of this kit will plough funds back into the company to finance the Sopwith Baby, DH.5, Sopwith Dolphin, Roland C.II, DH.9, Handley Page 0/400, Spad VII, Fokker E.V/ D.VIII, Avro 504K..... all those kits we want and hope they will do.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 05:33:29 PM »
Dave, your words are mine!!
Richard

P.S. Anyone interested in the interview that started tihs thread?
https://sites.google.com/site/greatwarsig/Resources
(open "Ami Cher Vol.5.pdf" and scroll down to page 29)

Offline Hannover

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 06:08:04 PM »
And the Camel is a'NEW' announcement. We still have the 40+ models in development as they have mentioned previously. We don't know what these are but one can guess at a few of them.

Peter

Offline Jose Chaica

• Jose "Von Muttley" Chaica
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 07:39:59 PM »
Richard

Thanks for pointing that out...  really liked to read all the interview!  :)
Jose Chaica, from Portugal.

Offline gcn

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 07:48:20 PM »
I had a look at their newsletter and I thought it was quite good. A useful round up of the latest products being released, a few buld logs and of course the interview.

They talk about the figures and it would seem that some are not too far away and also as I guessed last week there will be specific figures for their special edition boxings, but they seemed to be a bit further away.

If I was doing the interview I wouldn't have let him out of the room until he had confirmed when the next run of the W-29 would be, plus when the W-12 was coming. I do like that Navy Loz.

Offline Bob D.

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 09:53:14 PM »
"A Dolphin.  They need to do a Dolphin."

A must!!!!

Any interest out there for an Armstrong Whitworth F.K. 8?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:05:52 PM by Bob D. »

Offline Le Taureau qui rit

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 01:40:35 AM »
Any interest out there for an Armstrong Whitworth F.K. 8?

Yep. Right here!

A Dolphin would be good too

D.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 02:52:44 AM »
I'm a prophet; I'm on record as saying in "Latest in my Collection" last week that, now that I've finally got the two Hobbycraft Camels, WNW will announce a Camel! ::) Mixed emotions however it's all good in the end. And I do agree, the Roden DR1 is a pretty darned good Kit; rather see a Dolphin or, better still, a Nieuport or two. :)
BTW, my powers are not limited; I can make it snow too, I just plough the driveway and it snows within hours................
Cheers, (and may the Force be with you all)
Lance ;)

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 03:59:10 AM »
Richard

Thanks for the link Richard, very useful. The newsletter is a good read. Everyone should go and have a look.
Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 06:45:28 AM »
 i will buy a camel. and i'm sure rowan will put out a decal sheet for it with all kinds of great markings. i was debating on getting a snipe since it looks like a camel with an extra chromosone. now i most likely wait for the camel. i always wanted to do the egytian looking camel with the feathered wings and desert colors.the 1000th ruston procter camel
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:59:52 AM by ALBATROS1234 »

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 07:43:39 AM »
  WNW's know their business ,so I'm not overly surprised to learn the Camel is in the pipeline. As other's have it makes excellent marketing sence. I do hope thought they do include the  marking for the Wings Of Horris (Spelling ? ) Camel that Scott mentioned,if not Rowan to the rescue.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 05:06:44 PM »
perhaps at the least rowan can do it as a special edition like he did with the rumeys demon and that bavarian wrapped one. its kinda thanks to you and des that they are doing the camel. both you guys did those heavy duty rebuilds of the academy/hobbycrap camels.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 12:17:09 AM »
. . . but still... aren't there lots more interesting aircraft that haven't been kitted at all?

Ummm . . . nope!  ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 02:32:44 AM »
someone speculated on a wnw fokker triplane coming now due to the camel announcement. imho the camel is much more needed than another 1/32 dr.1. true it would be nice to have a dr.1 with the wnw treatment but the roden kit is fine and i would hope that they do other more needed things than that. like we NEED a 1/32 aviatik berg d.1 ,phonix di(ii,or iii),hansa d.1,roland c.ii or d.i, dolphin, be2 series, hanriot hd.1, bristol scout c or d,lloyd cv and last but certainly not least a oef diii albie. any of these and more would be more needed than a dr.1 or a camel for that matter(i think this is what red baron means) but i am glad to see any ww1 kit get the wnw quality in a kit.

Offline cgandiaga

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 02:58:43 AM »
I agree with the mindset that a cash cow like a Camel and/or a Dr I would probably make the Wingnutters more apt to produce more obscure kits for those of us who wish to dig deeper.

I myself would love to see a Breguet 14 given the WNW treatment.