Author Topic: WW1 Newspapers  (Read 635 times)

Offline IFF1418

WW1 Newspapers
« on: January 11, 2014, 08:28:57 PM »
Hi all,

There is a fine initiative in Belgium in view of the centenary commemoration. Every week during 52 weeks there are parts of 3 newspapers, that were edited during the war, and concerning the war, going to be released. These are in the original old Flemish language and the print is just as it was then. I hope to find some articles about the war in the air.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: WW1 Newspapers
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 08:55:45 PM »
Thanks Patrick for the heads up on this, it's wonderful to see Belgium take the lead in the WW1 centenary celebrations, wouldn't it be great if all the newspapers around the world followed suit and printed a page from a WW1 newspaper every week in the relevant country.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 09:14:31 PM »
Hello Des,

Yes that would be great. I can read now that the war was a bit politically exploited depending on the tendency of the newspaper. If I find interesting articles, I will certainly communicate them here (a bit changed because of copyrights - should they still exist) in English.
I also hope that the commemoration will not be to commercially exploited. I hope it will be a serene homage During my visits in the 250 cemeteries where soldiers from all over the world are burried, I saw practically no one. But now we will see so many people and that grieves me a bit.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 11:55:26 PM »
Patrick, I imagine there will be some individuals  that will be out only to cash in
on the remembrances, but the vast majority will keep everything in
perspective and show the deserved respect.  My wish anyway.
  I think the idea from the Belgian newspapers is a good one.  Hopefully, as you
said, other will follow suit.  Thanks for the interesting news, my friend.

Cheers,
Ernie :)

The new old guy, take two...

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 02:00:50 PM »
I would love to get my hands on copies of those reprints.

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 07:29:25 PM »
Hi Rob,

I don't know where you live, but the newspapers are in Dutch language. I will in any case look for interesting photo's and send them or post them (i'll have to watch the copyright though).
I give you the link to the editors just in case :

www.deoorlogskranten.be

Kind regards
Patrick