Author Topic: Lloyd C.V 1/32 Scratch Build Project  (Read 29978 times)

Offline rhallinger

Lloyd C.V 1/32 Scratch Build Project
« on: November 05, 2012, 11:58:03 AM »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Lloyd C.V 1/32 Scratch Build Project
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 12:32:13 PM »
Wow, Bob!  That was fast!   ;)
Really looking forward to the build log.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 12:33:28 PM »
Still working on the posting of images.  The last shot is a completed 1/48 Special Hobby kit from the web.  I really like the elegant avian design of this aircraft, and it's beautiful mahogany wood sheathing on all surfaces.  Here are my plans from the Peter Grosz book, along with templates made from the plans enlarged to 1/32, and the balsa block from which the fuselage pattern will be produced for vacuforming, per Doug Bauman's Aviatik Berg scratchbuild.

I am plannng to fabricate the wings using Des's technique for forming an airfoil shape from sheet styrene, in this case 3.2 mm (.125") Evergreen Styrene.  I will likely build a license-built WKF version, Series 82.17-48, with a 220 hp Benz Bz.IV engine.  I hope to be able to get an extra sprue from WNW, but if not, I will build it myself.

Here is the fuselage profile laid out on the balsa block, which is actually two 1/2 inch wide pieces glued together with paper strips between to help splitting the pattern after carving for vacuforming:

The rough cut fuselage pattern in profile:

This is going to be interesting and challenging!  ;D

The WNW Pup parts on the bench are part of an ongoing build for my daughter.  I'll try not to get the two mixed up!  ;D

Regards,

Bob

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 01:33:44 PM »
You're moving along quite nicely Bob, this will be a very interesting build to watch, I'm always looking for new ways to do scratch building.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Adam

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 12:08:45 AM »
Interesting, I will watch here.

Adam.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 12:20:59 AM »
  Bob,
Excellent first progress my friend.Looking forward to seeing more,especially the carving of her fuselage.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Galloway

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 05:01:38 AM »
Your off to a great start Bob........ I'll be following along here also.....

Ken
"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 10:18:34 AM »
This looks interesting, especially the promise of some vac forming to come.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 02:26:27 AM »
Im going to enjoy watching this one!!

Steve

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 04:45:48 AM »
Good luck, Bob. I'll be part of the parade watching over your shoulder. Very good start to your build!
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 02:36:34 PM »
Okay, another couple of sessions of progress carving and sanding the master fuselage for the vacuform:

Next step is to spray with shellac and fine sand between coats to seal the balsa.  After that I'll coat with primer and sand smooth again.  The sanding to shape was a bit challenging, as you don't want to take too much.  I referred to my plans and photos of the protoype and the beautiful build photos of Wojtek Fajga's 1/48 Special Hobbies Lloyd C.V at The Aerodrome.  If you are a Lloyd fan and have not seen this build, you have to check it out.  Amazing!

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fajga.pl/modele/lloyd_sh_45.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/models/37040-lloyd-c-v-s-46-%257C-special-hobby-%257C-1-48-a-2.html&usg=__VTod0E3aZkjJi7prWLvKe6qoIsE=&h=667&w=800&sz=52&hl=en&start=20&zoom=1&tbnid=gay3VcreWlqnfM:&tbnh=119&tbnw=143&ei=SzObUOTzA5Kv0AG2poDwAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dlloyd%2Bc.v%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1

I will visit a friend with a tablesaw this weekend and cut the wood to assemble my vacuform box.  I also need to get the materials for the wing airfoil jig and assemble that.  It will be like the one Des has used for his Voisin and Taube.  I already have the 3.2 mm sheet styrene.  I'm still planning out the rest of the steps. 

Regards,

Bob

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 02:49:26 PM »
Very nicely carved, Bob.  I look forward to seeing in the vac phase.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 07:42:06 PM »
Lovely piece of carving Bob, I'm really looking forward to the vac forming stage if this build, this is a process that has me very intrigued.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline xmald

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 10:35:14 PM »
Lloyds in general are extremely interesting constructions in my opinion. I will follow your thread with great dose of excitment!
A great start BTW.
Best regards
Filip

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 11:09:06 PM »
I'm interested in seeing how you build your vac form machine so be sure to post some in-progress shots.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.