Author Topic: plastic airfoil struts  (Read 1620 times)

Offline robvd

plastic airfoil struts
« on: September 28, 2014, 07:31:40 AM »
I recently obtained a couple of model kits from duard in wich the cabane struts are made of PE as far as I know these should also have an airfoil shape.
I remember from a long time ago that there was a company( I think it was contrfail?) who made airfoil shape plastic from wich struts could be manufactured.
I could not find them  Does anybody knows if thes are still made and where I can obtain them

Thanks in advance

Rob :)

Offline ermeio

Re: plastic airfoil struts
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 07:41:58 AM »
Hi,
They were contrail struts, but for 1/48 models the best ever made are strutz.
I think contrail struts are long gone but it maybe that Aero club still has strrutz.
The only problem is that aero club hasn't  a website :-)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 09:22:48 AM »
Rob,
"Strutz" (which are soft brass) are two things to me: one, they are an excellent product.; and two, they are unfortunately long out of production/not available. If anyone knows of a source of old stock or some for private sale please add me to the list with Rob!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 11:05:18 AM »
I saw this posted over on Britmodeler only recently, it may be worth contacting John about the contrail struts, email John at  [email protected]

Des.

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

Brass Strutz is no longer available. The manufacturer Mike Eacock (Skybirds 86) sadly died last year. The family kindly allowed me to recover a large amount of Mikes workshop equipment but the Strutz machinery had already been dismantled and although I have the rolling press the vital shape forming rollers were missing and were never found. I could not recover the draw benches as these were over 6 meters  long and these as well as all the lathes,millers and presses and injection moulder were all scrapped.  I have all the Skybirds masters including several types never released and a garage full of parts . Unfortunately sorting out and storing this hoard of stuff has taken far too much time away from my other work.

Contrail Strut, Tube and Rod are all still available. PM me through this site and I will return the mail as soon as I can..

John - Aeroclub
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com