Author Topic: WnW FE.2b (Late)  (Read 16216 times)

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
WnW FE.2b (Late)
« on: May 30, 2012, 07:37:27 PM »
This post is a little premature, I ordered the FE.2b from WnW yesterday, I received an e-mail this morning saying that it had been sent, whilst I'm waiting for delivery, are there any problems or pitfalls with the kit, but knowing WnW's precision and attention to detail I don't expect any. 

I am hoping to build one of the 100 Sqn. builds because when I worked at RAF Whyton in Cambridgeshire the 'Glorious Ton' were stationed there.

I will be following the builds on here with great interest.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline N.C.S.E

Re: WnW FE.2b (Late)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 08:30:29 PM »
Good luck, it's been a great kit so far, but in the interest of balance on the forum you should have bought the Early version ;)

The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

modelmaker

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 08:32:16 PM »
Well done Pete great choice! I've only put the fuse together so can't comment on the rest of the kit apart from the fact that all parts fitting tolerences are very tight!
I had trouble buttoning up the fuselage but it could be the way that I assembled my parts. There is also a known or well documented problem with the fit of the large wood piece B24 that sits in the pilots cockpit in front of the radiator. The part once glued in place leaves some very obvious join lines and really needs to be puttied and sanded once the whole cockpit is assembled. This is very difficult to achive a good result with the risk of damaging the cockpit internals. I'm going to leave mine as is, I can live with it.

Sean

Offline Pete Nottingham

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 08:33:35 PM »
Good luck, it's been a great kit so far, but in the interest of balance on the forum you should have bought the Early version ;)

I know, but I wanted to do the 100Sqn. build.  ;)

Cheers

Pete.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 08:34:04 PM »
  Pete,
I'm looking forward to watching you work your magic with the Fee my old friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 09:26:27 PM »
Pete,
Looking forward to seeing your WIP on the Fee.
Good luck!

BVB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 09:34:17 PM »
Looking forward to it Pete - there's a veritable squadron of Fee's here at the moment!!

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Pete Nottingham

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 09:35:46 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll try my best.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline gcn

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 10:12:18 PM »
Hi Pete

I think the biggest issue, rigging aside is how you deal with the wood behind the pilot. If you look at Prezmols build over at the GWITA forum you'll see what I mean as I'm not articulating it very well.

Gary

Offline Pete Nottingham

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 10:24:06 PM »
Hi Pete

I think the biggest issue, rigging aside is how you deal with the wood behind the pilot. If you look at Prezmols build over at the GWITA forum you'll see what I mean as I'm not articulating it very well.

Gary

Thanks Gary, I'll take a look.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 01:39:45 AM »
I primed the wings etc on mine last night - boy this is going to be a big model!  The good thing is, that whilst the rigging looks very complicated, there will be plenty of space to work with.

Perhaps Des could create a forum area to put this Fee "squadron" all together?

Offline Pete Nottingham

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 02:25:33 AM »
Hi Pete

Gary

Hi Ian, did you have any problem with this?

Cheers

Pete.

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 02:53:03 AM »
I haven't got that far yet, but I think I'll live with the small gaps round the edges of this part. Prez blended his perfectly, but I fear I'd make it worse by trying...

Offline Maxfinn

• MaxModels
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 03:30:55 AM »
Well done Pete great choice! I've only put the fuse together so can't comment on the rest of the kit apart from the fact that all parts fitting tolerences are very tight!
I had trouble buttoning up the fuselage but it could be the way that I assembled my parts. There is also a known or well documented problem with the fit of the large wood piece B24 that sits in the pilots cockpit in front of the radiator. The part once glued in place leaves some very obvious join lines and really needs to be puttied and sanded once the whole cockpit is assembled. This is very difficult to achive a good result with the risk of damaging the cockpit internals. I'm going to leave mine as is, I can live with it.

Sean

I'm working on the early version, and had been forewarned about the challenge posed by getting the back wall of the pilot's cockpit (part B24) into place.  While I didn't find the fit to be bad at all, it does leave a very visible join line where it simply shouldn't be in real life.

My solution was to glue the piece into place on the right side of the cockpit before closing up the nacelle.  I chose to glue it into the right side as I wanted to add the wiring that comes off the control levers on the right side, and adding those after the nacelle was closed would have been much more challenging.  Once the piece was glued in place, I filled and sanded the seam, and went ahead and painted all the wood grain.

Then, after the nacelle was closed up, I was left with a pretty minor gap to fill.  In order to avoid damage to the completed wood grain, I used Apoxie Sculpt "Super White" epoxy putty to fill the gap.  Then, before the putty set, I used a wet Q-tip (cotton bud) to remove the excess.  All the excess was removed with no damage to the existing paint and leaving only a thin white line that needed to be painted to match the surrounding wood grain, which was very easy.

Mike
Mike Moore
I just love building models!

Offline Pete Nottingham

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 04:08:35 AM »
Thanks guys, obviously something to watch out for when I start.

Another quick question, what have or what do you intend to use for the rigging, internal and external, because being RFC there won't be any turnbuckles involved, or if any very few.

Cheers

Pete.