Author Topic: Hannover lozenge template  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Hannover lozenge template
« on: February 04, 2013, 07:26:29 AM »
Mike Covington has been kind enough to create this template for anyone wanting to paint the lozenge on the centre section of the WnW Hannover. I hope this is of some use to those finding it difficult to create this pattern.

Many thanks to Mike.

Des.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 07:33:12 AM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Hannover lozenge template
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 07:34:03 AM »
OOPS - my big fat fingers strike again, error corrected.

Des.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 08:56:02 AM »
THIS is a Ham-mover

Offline ermeio

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 12:24:03 AM »
I hope that Rowan includes these in the ongoing sheet...
er me

Offline mgunns

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 02:29:34 AM »
Greetings all:

Yes, thanks to Mike for coming up with this.  I agree with his question and summary as to why WNW didn't inlcude this.  I used the old Aurora Transfer patterns, (4 color) for mine.  It was all I could come up with and it has the effect.  For transferring the image to plastic I made 4 copies.  Painted the surface the lightest color, then cut out the next lightes color patterns laid that over the wing surface, air brushed that color, then did the next and so on.  There are some feathered edges that I went over with a brush to define, but it worked.  Good luck with this.  Maybe Rowan will include it on his sheets.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 06:13:04 AM »
Sorry to say that to "include" (such a simple little word....) the painted lozenge areas with the marking decal set would have had a major cost implication which not everyone would have been happy with....

I am currently looking at the question of providing something as a separate set. If I go the screen-printed route - essential to replicate the hand painted nature of this camouflage, in my view - then there are considerable production costs to consider. Using the much, much cheaper "four colour" type laser printing process has real drawbacks in terms of colour density for decal production of this sort - the very thing which makes it such an ideal process for replicating printed fabric.

I have some templates drawn for the wing centre section and I'm attempting to "map" the fuselage for wrap-around type decals, but the Hannover fuselage is an "interesting" shape –or more properly a series of shapes.....

Edit:

If I don't decide to go with a separate decal set, there will be templates for masks for painting the wing centre section, tailored to the curved surface of the wing, included with the markings decals.

I’ll post something on the Pheon forum as and when I have some further news.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:22:04 AM by rowan broadbent »
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 08:37:37 AM »
Great news Rowan. I'm sure if a lozenge decal set was available for the fuselage as well as the wing centre section sales for this kit would increase dramatically, it is only the thought of having to hand paint the lozenge that has turned a lot of people off buying this brilliant kit. I hope you can sort out the fuselage shape issues and produce a wrap around decal. Looking forward to hearing any further developments on this project, if it all comes off it would mean I will have to buy another Hannover to do up with lozenge.

Des.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 12:55:12 PM »
Sorry to say that to "include" (such a simple little word....) the painted lozenge areas with the marking decal set would have had a major cost implication which not everyone would have been happy with....

I’ll post something on the Pheon forum as and when I have some further news.

Hello Rowan:

Yes, it (include) is simple in concept but complex in execution.  I traced the old Aurora pattern on the fuselage.  Not impossible, but time consuming, the end result was what I was after.  I think if the fuselage wrap is cost prohibitive, at least a template to give the modeler something to go on vice free handing it would really be helpful, (IMHO).  Look at all the time, effort and products to produce wood grain.  After all, most of the schemes require the modeler to paint over it anyway.  It does look neat showing through the blue though.

Thanks for the response.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....