Author Topic: "NEW" 1/24th scale WWI kits from...  (Read 9662 times)

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
Re: "NEW" 1/24th scale WWI kits from...
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 04:07:41 PM »
I'm watching with bated breath. I'd possibly go for the Fokker and probably the Spad but if an Albatros DIII was announced I'd buy it no matter.

If they are half decent Rowan, Richard, Lucasz and all the other Aftermarket guys have more market space to cover. ;)

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Online RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 08:16:10 PM »
it says spad v.ii on the merit posting, which personally i prefer a v.ii to a x.iii. anyway we shall see. if they are 1/24  ww1 fighters even if they need correcting thats great imho. we have the know how to fix that right? are we mice or are we modellers?lol

A SPAD VII instead of a XIII! I will remain optimistic that the kits will be entirely new designs and not up-scaled Roden copies  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 09:45:38 PM »
A SPAD VII instead of a XIII! I will remain optimistic that the kits will be entirely new designs and not up-scaled Roden copies  ::)
RAGIII

Woops, sorry about that, I blame my ageing eyes....

Sadly I have a feeling that the up-scaled Roden idea might prove to be correct with this particular selection. Still keeping fingers crossed but hope fast-fading.
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Online RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 11:16:47 AM »
RAGIII

Woops, sorry about that, I blame my ageing eyes....

Sadly I have a feeling that the up-scaled Roden idea might prove to be correct with this particular selection. Still keeping fingers crossed but hope fast-fading.

Rowan, As for me, after thinking about things, I am EXCITED about the new scale releases! The reason struck me like a Bolt of Lightning! I was sounding like certain personalities on other web sites that condemn a kit from a pre release photo as being Fatally  Flawed  :-X So until the proof is in the Pudding so to speak I am all in and Very grateful that our World is expanding to another scale !
RAGIII

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2015, 01:20:45 PM »
Works for me! Saves me ordering greater magnification lenses for my Optivisor in the very near future! ::) ::)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2015, 04:33:00 PM »
1/24? I like the sound of that. Despite what others say, size DOES matter!

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2015, 09:17:04 PM »
Gotta be good news..

At least it gives a wider choice..  :D

Would be great for the superdetailers  ;)

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline LukasTheLight

• Addicted to Wingnuts...
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2015, 09:40:39 PM »
Hurray for 1/24!!! :) I'd be also quite happy with 1/18 in WW1... would look amazing as chandelier/decoration in living room ;)

Cheerio
Lukas
"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.
They Can Fly Upside Down With Their Feet In The Air.
They Don't Think of Danger. They Really Don't Care.
Newton Would Think He Had Made A Mistake."

Lukas

Offline John Marco

• Model Art By Marco
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2015, 11:14:09 PM »
This is something that could get me back into making model kits again, they would go along nicely with my other 1/24th WW1 planes  :)

Deutschmark

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2015, 08:43:47 AM »
I would like to publicly applaud Merit for being the only major kit manufacturer other than Wingnuts to announce a series of new WW1 kits.

Given that most companies baulk at new tool WW1 kits, I will be supporting Merit for supporting us. It will also be a boon to the aftermarket guys.

As for rumours of the kits being up-scaled clones of other models- this is pure supposition and should be treated as such for the time being.

If we, the WW1 enthusiasts, don't show support for a new WW1 kits venture, we can't then grizzle when other companies ignore our pleas for new WW1 kits.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2015, 09:27:11 AM »
I would like to publicly applaud Merit for being the only major kit manufacturer other than Wingnuts to announce a series of new WW1 kits.

Given that most companies baulk at new tool WW1 kits, I will be supporting Merit for supporting us. It will also be a boon to the aftermarket guys.

As for rumours of the kits being up-scaled clones of other models- this is pure supposition and should be treated as such for the time being.

If we, the WW1 enthusiasts, don't show support for a new WW1 kits venture, we can't then grizzle when other companies ignore our pleas for new WW1 kits.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Dave, I agree! That is why I reversed myself after my first "Thoughts"! I am looking forward to these kits and will purchase the Triplane and SPAD for sure. ( Well Providing I can afford them)
RAGIII

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2015, 09:48:38 AM »
Very well said Dave and I agree fully. Even though I only build 1:32 scale it doesn't mean that I won't support this new venture by Merit, I also applaud any company who ventures into the WW1 aircraft kit market, the larger scale will be a real hit for our ageing modelers and also for anyone who prefers larger models. I will buy their kits to add to my stash, maybe in years to come when I get "old" I will dig the kits out and build them.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2015, 10:11:58 AM »
Just a thought

Even if we assume (which I won't) that they are upscaled copies of Roden's kits they will still be pretty good. Roden's Fokker builds quite nicely and they may well fix some of the obvious flaws in the kit as they produce the moulds.
The other plus of that is it could mean if these kitsets sell  enough then Merit would release others from Roden's range, like
Albatrossen  ;)

Time will tell.

Keith

Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2015, 10:43:59 AM »
All this is interesting , 1/24 scale Pfalz D.IIIa or even a SSW D.III would grab my attention ....

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2015, 10:46:28 AM »
Just a question re the rumour/ suggestion the Merit kits could be upscaled from Roden or other models. What is this supposition based on?

I am aware Merit do armour kits so is there some contention they have done this with armour models?

My fear is if we say "up scaled clones" too often with zero evidence, then the rumour becomes accepted as fact, and that becomes a bad thing.

So I would like to hear some hard evidence of this allegation and if none if forthcoming would prefer to dwell on the positives- a model company is issuing a new range of 1/24th WW1 aircraft for which we should all be grateful. Finally, some 1/24th WW1 aircraft to sit alongside our Airfix and Trumpeter 1/24th superkits!

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com