Author Topic: Converting a WNW Pfalz D.IIIa  (Read 1470 times)

Offline stefanbuss

Converting a WNW Pfalz D.IIIa
« on: May 17, 2016, 09:42:28 PM »
Friends,

my idea might be pretty obvious (and thus already tested and maybe proven); How hard might it be to craft Rodens's upper fuselage for the Pfalz D.III onto WNW's parts for the D.IIIa, thus maybe achieving an aircraft with the design of the D.III and the level of detail we all love from the D.IIIa?

(I am aware of those differences inside the aircraft, due to the different positions of those MGs and the different IP, but, for the time being, I am more interested in the "exterior solution")

Your thoughts, please.

Stefan

Online RAGIII

Re: Converting a WNW Pfalz D.IIIa
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 12:15:21 AM »
Funny thing but I recently held the left fuselage of the DIIIa against the right fuselage of the DIII. It looked closer than I anticipated. I think it is doable. Now that being said I think the better solution might be to graft the WNW DIIIa lower wings onto the DIII center section and use the WNW Upper wing and enhance the Roden fuselage with available PE. Use WNW interior bits and MGS as possible. JMHO,
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 12:40:50 AM »
   How inferior is the Roden Kit to the WNW one? I have both and intended to just add extra details to the DIII Roden version. The other Roden kits I've done (Nieuport 28, DR.1, Alb D.III and SSW D.III) all build up quite nicely but admittedly they do require extra effort and added details.
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 12:49:30 AM »
   How inferior is the Roden Kit to the WNW one? I have both and intended to just add extra details to the DIII Roden version. The other Roden kits I've done (Nieuport 28, DR.1, Alb D.III and SSW D.III) all build up quite nicely but admittedly they do require extra effort and added details.
Cheers,
Lance

Not much at all Lance. Personally after looking at the options I chose to plan to build both. I have a Toms PE set for the Roden kit. Too bad WNW only gives a spare lower wing as I do like their rib tape presentation. So order some of Bobs strippers and I will have a go at the Roden. What Stefan decides of course is his own decision.
RAGIII
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:38:53 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 11:58:57 AM »
not much diff at all to me.i have both. the roden surface texture and detail is a little rough compared to wnw.just get the encore blue max kit and add a wnw mercedes sprue. most guys look at a roden wing next to a wnw and think wow this is much nicer look at that stitching detail. imho the roden has the superior wings.the wnw stitching is out of scale over exaggerated. look at photos of the real thing. unless its a close close up of the wings you do not see raised rib tapes nor that level of stitching. roden also has a more realistic wing undersurface detail in which it more accurately depicts the pillowing/pursing of the fabric.wnw is just more raised rib tapes. i am not knocking wnw anyone can lightly sand down the ribtapes and under decals or a few coats of paint its not too bad. if the lack of defined rib tapes bothers you get some hgw or other rib tape stiching decals strips and the roden wings will look the same as wnw. wnw engines and props are better as are some of the interior details but that can also be spruced up with the eduard or part pe .

i say if you want to do a d iii get an encore if you want a d iiia get a wnw. both need a bit of tweaking,maybe the roden a tad more to end up with the same quality final product but are we modellers or are we mice? isnt that what we do? imho the roden is more fun for your dollar becase its cheaper and gives you more hours of modelling fun.(this is why i dont get why so many have a stiff one for a wnw dr.1 when the roden is fine....oh well ones mans treasure.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2014/reviews/kits/encoreec32004reviewmd_1.htm
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 12:03:30 PM by ALBATROS1234 »

Offline Borsos

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 04:54:09 PM »
not much diff at all to me.i have both. the roden surface texture and detail is a little rough compared to wnw.just get the encore blue max kit and add a wnw mercedes sprue. most guys look at a roden wing next to a wnw and think wow this is much nicer look at that stitching detail. imho the roden has the superior wings.the wnw stitching is out of scale over exaggerated. look at photos of the real thing. unless its a close close up of the wings you do not see raised rib tapes nor that level of stitching. roden also has a more realistic wing undersurface detail in which it more accurately depicts the pillowing/pursing of the fabric.wnw is just more raised rib tapes. i am not knocking wnw anyone can lightly sand down the ribtapes and under decals or a few coats of paint its not too bad. if the lack of defined rib tapes bothers you get some hgw or other rib tape stiching decals strips and the roden wings will look the same as wnw. wnw engines and props are better as are some of the interior details but that can also be spruced up with the eduard or part pe .

i say if you want to do a d iii get an encore if you want a d iiia get a wnw. both need a bit of tweaking,maybe the roden a tad more to end up with the same quality final product but are we modellers or are we mice? isnt that what we do? imho the roden is more fun for your dollar becase its cheaper and gives you more hours of modelling fun.(this is why i dont get why so many have a stiff one for a wnw dr.1 when the roden is fine....oh well ones mans treasure.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2014/reviews/kits/encoreec32004reviewmd_1.htm

I couldn't agree more. I have the Roden Pfalz D III and keep it for a very nice kit. Using PART or Eduard PE makes kitbashing a WNW not necessary in my opinion. And I remember a discussion on the aerodrome: The ribtapes were not always sawn to the wooden ribs as WNW reproduces it...
Finally: Two DH2, two Pfalz, two Sopwith Triplanes, two SE5a ... I cannot see a reason for a wnw Dr1...
Anyway: Good luck for your Pfalz D III project! :)
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.