Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Halberstadt Cl.II (Early) Royal Prussian Schlasta 21, Oct 1918  (Read 16914 times)

Offline RichieW

Beautiful work Lance, the hint of stripes beneath the yellow looks superb. Rigging is lovely and neat too.Looking forward to seeing this finished. Must get one of those jigs, looks more than just a bit handy!

Online RAGIII

What a Beautiful scheme and your usual brilliant painting and rigging!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Thank you both for commenting. :)
Richie, the Magic Third Hand is far and away the best modelling tool I've ever used, and I've been at it for over 60 years now! I'm not sure if it's still available however here's a link, somewhat dated, but you should be able to contact the owner by phone (somewhere in the Mid West I think)

https://www.facebook.com/Kronos-Designs-1556299394599528/

I'd be very interested to hear how you make out, I like this gadget so much I often think I need a spare!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Wow Lance , I love the scheme ! Shaping up to be one of your best  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
    Thanks for looking and commenting Terri! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
 Lance,
Simply awesome my old friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline aliluke

Hi Lance
Getting back into the groove with the forum after a long absence and just been through your log. What an incredible project - can't quite get my head around the overpaint colour scheme - that is devotion to history! Wonderful work - thanks for sharing.

Cheers
A
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Thanks Greg (Great to hear from you again, been a while!) and Alistair for you comments. Real life is stealing time from this project presently, cleaning up the remains of a long Winter appear to be a priority in the mind of someone else who resides here .............. :-\ ::) more to follow soon.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline rhallinger

You've applied that colorful scheme very well Lance!  Looks really sharp.  Well done.

Best regards,

Bob

Offline GazzaS

Love this one!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Bob, Gaz,
    Thanks very much for your comments. I'm very close to finishing this one so I'll post a final update before that.
    Over the past several weeks I got her up on her "legs" and installed the tail skid as well. The rigging and flight control cables were all completed and painted using Mr. Metal Color "Stainless".

The ailerons and rudder were installed and the Gunner's swivel ring added. I also added the glass fuel sight gauge and Radiator header tank to the upper wing center section.

With that all completed it was time to carve the prop. I used laminations of Alaskan Yellow cedar and Pear wood. Once finished and sanded it was stained with a darker brown furniture stain and given 4 coats of semi gloss urethane varnish, the Niendorf decal logos were added and a final seal of Tamiya Semi Gloss and Flat (50/50 mix) Clear was applied.

Tomorrow I'll put the finishing touches on the Parabellum, install a few flare and bomb side racks and complete the exhaust manifold and main radiator to engine cooling pipe. Then a little weathering and a few touchups and she's done.
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

Your usual beautiful rigging work. She looks great on her legs! The prop is Fantastic! Something I admire in those like you that carve your own!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gisbod

How cool does that look Lance!

She’s a Beauty.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
    Thanks Guys. She does have a few "warts"  however, as usual, induced by the Builder! The biggest lesson I learned on this Build is to resist the urge to do several projects at once or to stop, complete another project, and then go back to the original as I did with this one. Definitely doesn't work for me.  I have the "Late" version of this Kit stashed and will take these lessons to it eventually.
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 11:21:04 AM by lcarroll »

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Thank you both for commenting. :)
Richie, the Magic Third Hand is far and away the best modelling tool I've ever used, and I've been at it for over 60 years now! I'm not sure if it's still available however here's a link, somewhat dated, but you should be able to contact the owner by phone (somewhere in the Mid West I think)

https://www.facebook.com/Kronos-Designs-1556299394599528/

I'd be very interested to hear how you make out, I like this gadget so much I often think I need a spare!
Cheers,
Lance

Hi all, As Lance said, the 'Third Hand' is a great help in holding a model firmly and in any position.
Like Lance, I use mine for rigging my models,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.