Author Topic: Wingnuts announces three new models in development  (Read 18992 times)

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: Wingnuts announces three new models in development
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2018, 04:48:00 PM »
Complete disappointment here as well. Mark this day, gentlemen. One era is all over today.

And how does that lovely logo of WNW with the pioneer pilot in front of a biplane fit to that junk of flying metal on the box art? Especially now, when they just released the fine T-shirt with that logo...
I am devastated...
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline iwik

« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2018, 04:48:17 PM »
Hi!
I think you are right and this is a one shot opportunity due to P.Jackson upcoming movie.
Moreover, there are so many French and Italian WWI planes yet to be done!!!
Ciao
IWik who was hoping the three kits would be different versions of the Spad XIII... :(

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2018, 04:56:09 PM »
I think the Lancaster will prove to be an aberration.  It seems to be linked directly with Peter Jackson's Dambusters movie project as others have mentioned.

We have learned over the years in interviews that WNW makes airplane kits that Peter Jackson personally finds interesting, and that the company has a whole does not need to make a profit, so long as they can cover their operating expenses.

So if Peter Jackson decides to build another non-WWI subject in the future, I guess they could and would build it, but we should probably be seeing more WWI aircraft.  Those are what Peter Jackson finds interesting and that's why WNW exists in the first place---as a vehicle for WWI kit manufacture that otherwise doesn't exist.

I don't think it's wise to assume the traditional WWI game plan has been thrown in the garbage.

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2018, 05:10:47 PM »
So.... that is a big f******ing dissapiontment...
So what is next from WnW? a Spitfire? a P-51? or even worse... an F-14 or similar?

well, that saves a lot of money that will go to CSM this christmas!!!

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2018, 05:15:43 PM »
"It seems to be linked directly with Peter Jackson's Dambusters movie project as others have mentioned."

I would have been happier with the movie.  My understanding is that funding for the movie project did not reach critical mass.  I wonder what will become of the 1/1 scale models they made for the airfield scenes?  As for the dog, and no offense to Stephen Fry who wrote the script, I would have used the name 'Nigel' as rhyming words are problematic.

Offline Syd Solo

« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2018, 06:20:40 PM »
The serial numbers don't make sense.
WNW have 320xx for standard releases, 326xx for figures with planes, 327xx for trilogy, 328xx for duellists - surely they would allocate a different batch number - e.g. 329xx , not 32043 and 32044 - if they really were making something as radically different as a WWII bomber?
I don't buy it.
Sandy

My thoughts exactly, Sandy. I smell a rat.
Cheers
Syd

Offline JimF

« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2018, 08:35:22 PM »
On the WNW Fans fb page, someone has stated that he confirmed with WNW.

From what little I read, the forthcoming HK models is going to be very well detailed. If the price is significantly lower than the WNW kit, it may be that WNW takes the hit. For someone who might have the space to build and display it (verses just collecting one, in the WNW case), I would think price would make a difference, except for a diehard WNW fan.

A disappointment for me, but not as much as it seems for others. I was not waiting with bated breath.

Except for the SE.5a, I have what WNW kits I wanted from their existing line, and have the Collishaw Triplane on order. Roden will take care of that one missing one, and there are a few others, from other mfrs, that I will be buying, sooner, now that WNW won't be cutting into my model dollars :)

Jim F

Offline Sosenka

• Fire and Shrapnel
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2018, 10:26:46 PM »
It's WnW always surprise us with their releases.

Offline crouthaj

« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2018, 10:45:50 PM »
I don't understand....was there another war after 1918?  And why are those propellers made out of metal?

Offline Borsos

« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2018, 11:22:05 PM »
There is no doubt that Peter Jackson is allowed to release every kit he likes.
But what makes this release so ignorant and arrogant is, that he harms another company severely that hasn't got his millions in the back.
Don't tell me that this is not the case because they are planning it for 8 years (if that should be true...)! Everybody, even me who doesn't care at all for a Lancaster, knew that HK had one in the making for quite a long time. It would have been simply a question of honor to warn them ("Hey stop that, we are also doing a Lancaster, let's not get into competition here!"). And don't tell me now "of course they did, it's HK who went on, ignoring that warning", as this is the most unplausible variant of this story, let's be honest! So all this friendly "we don't want to harm other companies"-talking semms not to be worth a penny and is obviously just a clever advertising strategy. Who doesn't prefer buying from the good guys? It seems as they aren't these good guys there in New Zealand, just ordinary business guys who stop at nothing...
Will I buy a Halberstadt? Yes, it's one of my favorite.
Will I buy a Lancester? Nope.
Will I celebrate WNW as this great modelling wonder company some people keep it? Nope. I celebrate Copper State Models, there are the really cool guys 8)
Will WNW care? Nope. ;D

Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2018, 11:28:27 PM »
I thought this was an April Fool's Joke, but I guess its not (still in shock I guess).  Will continue to support WNW, but not on WW II subjects.  Looking forward to seeing what the third release will be.   :o :o :o

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2018, 11:44:40 PM »
Unlike most of you, I actually like this change in the direction :) Why? because it opens teh door and broadens the horizon infront of WnW and also increase competition. Now we will have the possibility to see how WnW compete within the most crowded modeling space WWII aircraft and the hobby in general will win out of this competition.
About the Lancaster itself, I am not buying this thing - it IS ugly and it is too big, but I will consider any WWII smaller aircraft in the future for the time when I want to build somethign different than stringbags :)
Think globally, act locally!

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2018, 12:05:29 AM »
Borsos - I have spent the morning off and on musing on this latest WNW action. You have - to my mind - summed it up perfectly.

I really do feel like I have been 'lead up the garden path' only there's no garden at the end of it. Of course they have every right to produce whatever they want, but to pull something like this seems rather thoughtless on their part with seemingly a total disregard of their customer base.

Sure these kits could have been announced as a 'special' but the inference that it was part of the ongoing series feels very like playing someone for a fool and actually I don't like being played as a fool !

So far CSM have been open on what they are doing - providing information throughout as to progress not only on the new kit but figures and decals as well. I have a sneaking feeling that this business acumen is going to go strongly in their favour.

Whatever - it's not the end of the world - perhaps time though to have a rethink as to where my money goes :-\

Tug

Offline dinor

« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2018, 02:57:11 AM »
I find it so disappointing to see some of the reactions on this forum. A forum I have loved visiting, reading, being entertained and learned from. A forum that had none of the negativity and self centredness found on so many of the other forums.

Until now.

So what if WNW release a WW2 aircraft or a ship or a car or a tank for that matter, if that brings similar pleasure and satisfaction to those that are interested in that genre should we not be pleased ?

How quickly some forget the incredible sequence of releases of the last few years  and the incredible advancement and awareness that WNW bought to the WW1 genre which in itself has given the confidence for other companies to bring their products to market.

How quickly some decide to judge and criticise when a decision is made which does not suit their preconceptions.

Who cares if you purchase the Lancaster or not , that is a personal decision, who cares if you are disappointed or surprised by the release...what does it matter what WNW has said in the past about what they will consider releasing and on what basis these decisions are made..... they are allowed to make  their decisions as they are taking the risk.....as all companies including HK and CSM Would do.....however none of this is justification for this sort of criticism.

We should be grateful and should remember  what WNW has done for the genre and will probably continue to do, we should be pleased that they have done something different to bring satisfaction to those of other interests ...rather than treating our own  short lived surprise and disappointment as a basis for criticism and judgement as to whom are the morally and/or ethically more worthy manufacturers.

The size and extent of WNW's financing and Sir Peters ability to provide such financing is totally ....irrelevant.

What is relevant is that WNW has taken and I hope will continue to take enormous risks, not just for Sir Peters personal pleasure but because I assume they and he want to share and grow the passion for the genre....if I was them reading some of the reactions on here I would probably say why should I bother....but I suspect and hope they are above all this.

Again ... very disappointed.

Dino
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 03:05:55 AM by dinor »

Offline petrov27

« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2018, 03:26:12 AM »
They are a business and we are their customers. When a business I like changes course and contradicts what it has done and said in the past I will react to it and say my opinion even if negative.

-Patrick