Author Topic: Wingnut Wings LVG C.IV  (Read 3643 times)

Offline James

Wingnut Wings LVG C.IV
« on: February 01, 2014, 12:22:21 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering why the LVG C.IV sold out kinda quick? Is it a popular aircraft? I can understand the Hansa-Brandenburg W.29 selling out as rigging is minimal and is a pretty cool looking aircraft, but curious as to why the LVG sold out? Did they not produce a lot of them?
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline mgunns

Re: Wingnut Wings LVG C.IV
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 02:32:14 AM »
Hello James:

You have a valid question it's just the answer is not so easy.  The LVG CVI was one of the first four kits released.  The other three, SE5.a, Junkers J1 and the Bristol are still in stock.  The Hansa Brandenburg was about the 2nd or third release.   I saw very few build logs on the Hansa Brandenburg, but several on the LVG.  I think only WNW could give the definitive answer as to why they sold out.  Speculation dictates that they were very popular and demand exceeded supply; they only made a limited quantity of those kits thereby selling out quickly.  It is a mystery.  Makes one wonder what the stocks look like for their more popular kits, like the Albatros, Fokker DVII, Sopwith Pup?  Are they near extinction as well?  Makes one shudder to think about it.   :-\

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline James

Wingnut Wings LVG C.IV
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 02:58:24 AM »
Hello Mark,

I remember when those first four kits came out, and boy was everyone drooling. With the LVG C.IV selling out so quick, makes me wonder how the other three did not, especially the Junkers J.1? I have the Gotha, one of their early releases to and I'm surprised that hasn't sold out yet. I still need the Hannover and Fokker E.I, so like you I shudder to think about them selling out of those two kits. That's why I'm glad I have a Rumpler C.IV Early. I'll probably have to get the A.E.G. when it first comes out as that may sell out too, I think? Come to think of it, I saw maybe one or two build logs on the Hansa Brandenburg, but I saw a couple good build logs on the LVG on the Aerdrome site when it first came out, if I remember correctly. I wonder if the more popular kits like the Albatros, Pfalz, Fokker D.VII, Sopwith Pup, etc. that they produced a lot of these compared to the LVG, Gotha, etc.?

James

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 05:14:27 AM »
I am glad I was able to get the LVG a couple of years ago.  I enjoyed building it and the wood effect is one of the reasons I got the model.  I would do a much better job now, with more experience especially with the lozenge.

Offline James

Wingnut Wings LVG C.IV
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 06:18:41 AM »
I have an alternative theory. I think all Wingnuts kits are produced in batches, and those that don't sell we'll enough to justify a second or third etc. batch get dropped. The LVG has lots of wood surfaces and loads of rigging that might be a 'turn-off' for some, the W29 isn't a 'classic' western front machine and all the schemes are the same so little interest in multiple builds perhaps?

Red Baron, your theory makes total sense.

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 12:37:16 AM »
I have an alternative theory. I think all Wingnuts kits are produced in batches, and those that don't sell we'll enough to justify a second or third etc. batch get dropped. The LVG has lots of wood surfaces and loads of rigging that might be a 'turn-off' for some, the W29 isn't a 'classic' western front machine and all the schemes are the same so little interest in multiple builds perhaps?
No one knows for sure, but this does seen like a plausible explanation.  Another clue as to how big certain aircraft production runs might be is the decals sold by WNW themselves.  They have produced 5 Sheets of Fokker D VII decals, 8 (now down to 7) Albatros D V sheets and 3 Pfalz D IIIa sheets.  This would suggest production runs of considerable length, compared to the other WNW brethren that are sold out or selling out.  Why WNW has not done decals of the RFC, RAF I cannot say for sure, other than all that PC-10 gets boring after a while.
Honor Necessity

Offline WillScarlet

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 11:25:19 AM »
      Not to change the subject but just a little bit, ........... I had always been under the assumption that WNW produced their kits themselves, but to my surprise (after actually reading ALL the print on the kit box) they are produced in China! Does anyone know what manufacturer does these for WNW, or am I totally off base here?    ???

Offline petrov27

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 12:46:59 PM »
Thought I read somewhere when WNW burst on the scene that all of their first run kits were limited production - once they were gone they are gone. The kit would then only be available (eventually) as a "super" edition with extra etched details, figures, and decal options.

If that is/was true, then maybe with the W29 and LVG they just didnt run as many of them in that first run thinking they would not be as popular as the fighter types? Thus they sold out quicker?

Anyway just another theory :)
-Patrick

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 08:36:58 AM »
as others i assume that the production levels on diff kits are most likely different. i imagine the se5a probably popular would have had a larger run as in the brisfit, the junkers and lvg i would assume lower total run. i imagine albatros dv/dva having the largest overall run, maybe they do it in batches as stock gets low, maybe on the hansa it had not sold that fast so when they got low they thought it wise not to re-run with the original kitset. these are all assumptions on my part. although the lvg was released in 2009 so that wasnt that quick imho. now the hansa ran out in 1 year that was quick. but as stated above they have said there is going to be a deluxe release on the lvg and hansa so just wait and eventually there will be a kit with updated pe and new decals.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 09:06:57 AM »
The so called Special Edition kits have been promised for a long time, just like the Wingnut figures, whether they wil eventuate one day is purely speculation. I can't honestly see Wingnuts going to all the effort to produce and release special edition kits for just a few sales, the interest in the early kits has dropped off significantly with all focus now on what is coming next and what modelers would like to see produced.

Special edition kits, if released, will cost more, probably quite a bit more, they are supposed to have numerous PE frets, new decals, figures and new boxing, this all adds to more dollars on what is basically the same kit as the original, not everyone likes using PE. Time will tell what happens, I would prefer to see the release of a whole range of new kits.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 05:36:35 PM »
I would have thought that the time to release a special edition of a model was pretty much in synch with the main release, thus capitalising on the initial surge of interest. If not that them perhaps to mark some company landmark: 10th anniversary, 25th model; that sort of thing.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Berman

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 02:03:42 AM »
 The molds, for the out of production kits, were extremely expensive to produce. I very much doubt that these kits will never be made again. It would be absolutely insane to scrap the molds. Peter Jackson is not insane. :-)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 02:36:24 AM »
The molds, for the out of production kits, were extremely expensive to produce. I very much doubt that these kits will never be made again. It would be absolutely insane to scrap the molds. Peter Jackson is not insane. :-)
   ............and our new members list seems to indicate a big surge in experienced Modellers joining the WWI ranks ???
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 04:12:38 AM »
   ............and our new members list seems to indicate a big surge in experienced Modellers joining the WWI ranks ???
Cheers,
Lance

I am one of these people.  WNW is a direct reason for my interest in WWI subjects now.
Honor Necessity

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 01:52:54 PM »
so maybe they wait 5 yrs then re-release the lvg and hansa, but they will be snapped up in a frenzy by those who didnt get a chance to grab one first time round and dont want to pay stupid ebay prices. i like photoetch from some things. the first lvg dint even have spandau jackets, only seat belts. from what i saw the pe was already designed, the molds still exist, its a matter of designing a decal sheet , sending an invoice to china to make x amount of kitset molds and having the same amount of pe frets produced. a new box art and you are ready, not much work on their part(not compared to a new release anyways) and i guarantee they will sell. i always thought i would get a hansa one day, but they kept releasing new stuff i had to have then one day out of left field, bam sold out. i cursed myself for not putting of another to get the hansa. by the shear fact that every other month theres one on ebay that gets snapped up for 3x list price shows theres interest. i would also get another lvg its a damn nice kit.