Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 436169 times)

Offline rhwinter

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #1680 on: March 09, 2016, 07:42:57 PM »
Float goats? No, not for me, please!

Offline boggie

« Reply #1681 on: March 09, 2016, 07:48:09 PM »
BTW: Unlike James, my models usually come out looking like "goat" planes...

Hahaha. Mine too Jim.  ;D
But there is always inspiration to be found here.
Hopefully it will inspire our goats to become eagles one day.
But no rush, I kinda like goats.  ;D
I also like James's models. My "gloating" reference is meant as a compliment.  :)

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #1682 on: March 10, 2016, 01:12:29 AM »
Don't get me wrong Bob I would buy a WNW Dr.1  probably  2 but I would prefer if they release one later rather than sooner. There's too many other things that NEED a kit in 1/32 and the Roden kit is nice enuff to make a beauty of a model. I built one and have 3 more unstarted.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #1683 on: March 10, 2016, 05:32:05 AM »
Rick has hit on a good idea for the D VII's, but agree with Albatros that others not done yet come 1st--Dolphin...
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #1684 on: March 10, 2016, 07:49:35 AM »
Ricks idea is good - I would prefer that over the proposed "super" kits.

An alternative I would also like is a "lite" version kit on the cheap - something like Eduard does with their weekend line. Just give me the plastic - no etch, no decals, heck dont even need a box or instructions (as you can get it from the website) - seems like that would dramatically lower the cost on a kit and still be appealing....
-Patrick

Offline FarEast

« Reply #1685 on: March 10, 2016, 02:27:01 PM »
Yes the WWI Goat plane! Surely you must know it - named the Sopwith Goat and later renamed the Kid.

He went on to be a successful pilot in WWII.

But yes float planes, seaplanes, flying boats! I would love to see the Sopwith Baby, W.4 or what about a Seaplane Lighter H21with RNAS Camel!

An alternative I would also like is a "lite" version kit on the cheap - something like Eduard does with their weekend line. Just give me the plastic - no etch, no decals, heck dont even need a box or instructions (as you can get it from the website) - seems like that would dramatically lower the cost on a kit and still be appealing....

But would fly in the face of what they are trying to achieve with the brand, nice idea but when your aim is to be the best why would you want to devalue the brand with carboot sale style sales?

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #1686 on: March 10, 2016, 11:52:00 PM »
But would fly in the face of what they are trying to achieve with the brand, nice idea but when your aim is to be the best why would you want to devalue the brand with carboot sale style sales?

Exactly.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #1687 on: March 11, 2016, 08:41:58 AM »
The Wingnuts special edition kits were conceived at a more innocent time when Wingnut kit prices were substantially lower than today. They were being touted as far back as 2010 but I think Kai is right, they are probably dead in the water now, like the resin figures, unless Wingnuts has some secret master plan.

Sadly Wingnut Wings is not a member of this forum and does not monitor the posts so I doubt they have seen some of the very imaginative and creative ideas put forward.
I think the idea of reissuing the sold out kits as stripped down "Weekend"-type boxings is terrific but Wingnuts has never marketed itself as a budget model company. If anything they seem to be aiming for the high end ultra serious modeller/ collector.

Reboxing some of the sold out kits in Duellist boxings, as they did with the Hansa Brandenburg W.29 makes good commercial sense. Fokker D.VII vs..whatever. RE.8 vs Albatros D.Va.... LVG vs Sopwith Pup and so on. The deal would be even more appealing if the price was attractive.

Personally, I just don't understand the refusal to reissue the sold out kits. They have proven themselves to be the best sellers in the catalogue, the moulds will still be in excellent condition and there's no known reason why they can't be used again.

Wingnuts seems to be persisting with a shop catalogue of, frankly, tired kits from years ago that anyone who wanted to buy has already bought, and a couple of new releases. Their website has a 'sameness' about it now with little new to make the visitor pay attention. A sale of older kits might generate some more interest but the reality is modellers want either new releases or a return of the sold out kits that now command unbelievable prices on Ebay.

The eye-popping collector prices of sold out Wingnuts kits on Ebay should in itself tell Wingnuts how keen people are to have these kits available again.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline petrov27

« Reply #1688 on: March 11, 2016, 10:47:37 AM »

Just saying what I would like. If "best" equals expensive to the point where it drives buyers away then they seem to be headed right in that direction.
-Patrick

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #1689 on: March 11, 2016, 03:35:36 PM »
A couple of " solutions" to try and keep the costs down could be to cut back on all the decal options. I only need one set per model.

Typically five choices are offered and once the model is built, the rest just go into the spares box and are generally unused.

As someone else mentioned, the instruction booklet can be downloaded from the website instead of a printed version.

Finally the photoetch is usually unused as I prefer to use the HGW seatbelts instead of photoetch brass.

The mg jackets are useful though although there are other aftermarket options.

Back to the original topic for a second- the speculation.....

Well I am not even going to try and guess, as I have been wrong every time so far.

One thing is for sure though.

The kits are going up in price and the subject matter along with the total build cost will increasingly influence what modellers will buy.

Food for thought.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #1690 on: March 11, 2016, 04:54:40 PM »

I think the 'weekend edition' idea has some merit. There must be a lot of modellers out there who'd love to try a Wingnuts kit but simply can't afford it or who are not committed enough to WW1 to spend that amount of money on diversifying.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the kits are great value for money (even the Felixstowe), but they could potentially attract a lot of new blood into the genre with a one off Pfalz D.III weekender with 1 decal option and no PE etc at a knock down price. I'd imagine they'd also generate a huge amount of interest on modelling sites and forums.

I don't think this would be 'dumbing down' the brand, just creating more interest and a wider market into the Wingnut Wings world...

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #1691 on: March 11, 2016, 06:58:37 PM »

Sadly Wingnut Wings is not a member of this forum and does not monitor the posts so I doubt they have seen some of the very imaginative and creative ideas put forward.

Wingnuts have never ever supported this forum and have no presence here, but they do have their 'spies' who relate important posts back to them, Wingnuts may not be members of this forum but they are certainly kept in the loop with anything to do with Wingnuts. I don't know how much notice Wingnuts take with all the comments being posted here but in their best interest it would be very wise of them to take on board what has been said. Any company that does not listen to their customers is a company heading for disaster.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline macsporran

« Reply #1692 on: March 11, 2016, 08:07:13 PM »
...... Any company that does not listen to their customers is a company heading for disaster.

Sadly I think that is prescient.
Whilst loving the kits and being ever grateful that WNW ever came into being, I'd like to grab the Directors of the company and give them a good shake as to where they are going. The models are fantastic and my concern is that PJ pulls the plug on a cash drain and we see no more.

Although I turn away from paying a lot of money for the donkeys that are of no interest to me - like the J.I or the B.II (each to his own), the truth is I would pay anything they might ask for a Dolphin or a Strutter or a Pfalz D.VIII. (You'll see from my (very) old WWI Modelling site galleries that I love Sopwith and Pfalz subjects.)
However, if the prices were lower I would buy everything available - even the J.I - and the idea of a "Lite" version would certainly hurt my Paypal account severely.
I'm sure others feel the same about the Dolphin and B.II in reverse.

Having spent a large part of my 35 years in IT as a dealer manager for IBM and Wang, I had to assess company structures, advise on changes to accounting procedures and marketing and ultimately present a case to the board for taking on, keeping or parting ways with a dealer. I scream out when I see WNW with a fantastic sellable product like the Fokker D.VII - where all the R&D, tooling and marketing has been invested - and they've stopped making it!!!!!!

This would be fine if PJ was still pouring in the money but all the recent statements about profitability etc indicate strongly that the free ride on the gravy train has stopped.

For goodness sake Wingnuts, if you read this at all, please listen to your customers. Set up a poll on your website asking for what people want. Ask for upfront commitment to buy if you want. Look at diversifying your retail outlets and products. The Lite option is a brilliant idea: assuming your moulds are not crumbling, the quick re-issue of the Fokker in this format would immediately make your cashflow look healthier. Just pour the plastic, add a single sheet of decals and offer instructions on the web. Heck, you could even omit decals but offer a voucher in the box for a discount on the lozenge or markings decals already available.

There are so many options. All they need to do is open up to their customers and open a two-way suggestions and voting facility on their website.

Of course, maybe the cunning plan is very devious and even more clever. Perhaps they actually have shedloads of Fokker D.VII but are selling them all clandestinely via eBay at hugely inflated prices!

Sandy

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:11:33 PM by macsporran »

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #1693 on: March 11, 2016, 08:14:22 PM »
B.II a donkey!

She's beautiful! ;D

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline macsporran

« Reply #1694 on: March 11, 2016, 08:18:23 PM »
No disrespect, Guy - as I said, each to his own :)
S