Author Topic: Thank you Roden and the Forum - 1/32 SPAD XIII B6732  (Read 14254 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Thank you Roden and the Forum - 1/32 SPAD XIII B6732
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2022, 05:41:19 AM »
Remember Zac that a small amount of irregularity on the edges of the wood will never be seen because there will be too little light in the cockpit of the completed model. I always use prepainted strip on my models as I do not have to work with moulded parts, but even so there are invariably small errors - but nobody ever sees them!

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2022, 09:27:28 AM »
Really liking how this is coming together Zac  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2022, 05:15:58 AM »
Thank you folks!

Remember Zac that a small amount of irregularity on the edges of the wood will never be seen because there will be too little light in the cockpit of the completed model. I always use prepainted strip on my models as I do not have to work with moulded parts, but even so there are invariably small errors - but nobody ever sees them!

Stephen.
I am definitely intending to cheat - having done the interior framing twice I'm not keen to do a major repair, just enough so that what's visible through the cockpit looks about right!

I've never tried washes. I'm worried my models will turn out like those that look like the subject aircraft was stationed in a working coalmine...I think I'll try on some old disposable models before committing to it on something like this.

After my experience with Bob von Buckle's masks for my Lavochkin La-9 (posted here in the forum), and given the less than ideal appearance of the kit decals, I'm keen to look at masks for the national markings and serial numbers. Can anyone suggest where one could get such things?
Zac in NZ

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2022, 02:17:03 PM »
Progress has progressed:
Roden 1/32 SPAD XIII c.1 (early) by Zac Yates, on Flickr

The eagle-eyed amongst you may have noticed the lack of internal rigging. Sadly this was not intentional - I so got carried away with building that I didn't realise until the superglue I used on everything had well and truly set. I may try and add some tomorrow but I'm feeling a little disheartened over my "get it done-itis".

Speaking of, I didn't really heed the words of others regarding dry fitting:

I need to take stock and figure a plan of attack.
Zac in NZ

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2022, 10:28:23 PM »
You're not the only one to get the 'get-it-done-itis'.  Just do what you can on it.   :D

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2022, 02:50:42 AM »
Nice progress on your SPAD. I am not certain what is fouling the fit but have confidence you will figure it out!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2022, 04:19:03 AM »
Thanks Ken, it's reassuring but I thought I'd left this impatience behind with my childhood!

Rick, part of it may be the fuselage-to-wing mount - the "spar/floor" was standing proud so I had to cut and sand so the underside fairing would fit, but as to the rest...The frustrating thing is the ammunition box fits perfectly into the recess in the upper fuselage so i don't want to touch it!

A bit of patience and thinking ahead for me on this one. And possibly some careful disassembly.
Zac in NZ

Offline Monty

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2022, 04:50:40 AM »
Hi Zac! At least you got some of the difficult assembly done! The fuselage halves are together and the fuselage top looks good - the dry fit you show looks exactly like the problems I faced myself! I tried in my thread to show all the places that have to be attacked (sometimes viciously) to ensure that fuselage top seats itself down in the right place! You may need to bend it (fore and aft) to seat it better too ... but please don't disassemble... this is the way the kit is! Chop that ammunition box if need be... feel no pain... it won't show at all... also don't worry about the internal rigging, a nice thought but scarcely visible... Your wood effect is certainly more than good enough so press on! Regards, Marc.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2022, 11:07:07 AM »
It's these challenges which keeps us young Zac , sure the youngster within will find a solution . Looking sweet so far  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2022, 05:03:30 AM »
Must agree with Alexis.  It is model BUILDING after all...not just assembly.  (ha, ha).

Kidding aside, looks darn good from here...Dan

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2022, 06:28:59 AM »
Thank you folks, you're all very kind! Monty, I'm so relieved we're in the same boat - I'm off to your build to see how you fixed it.

It is model BUILDING after all...not just assembly.  (ha, ha).
I have rarely felt that sentiment more than when I dry-fitted the top!!
Zac in NZ

Offline FAf

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2022, 05:04:44 AM »
I've recently made the same kind of mistake on most builds... closing the fuselage without intended internal rigging, closing up two(!) Jumo 004B jet engines without adding the forward fan or the exhaust parts at the back, not installing all parts in the cockpit before closing the fuselage... and so on. So, you're not alone! And next time it'll be a perfect build. 😀🤪

Offline Grant

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2022, 06:09:52 AM »
Zac,

Looks really nice man, keep up the outstanding work.
Good quote from John Quincy Adams

"Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish"

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2022, 06:37:58 AM »
I've recently made the same kind of mistake on most builds... closing the fuselage without intended internal rigging, closing up two(!) Jumo 004B jet engines without adding the forward fan or the exhaust parts at the back, not installing all parts in the cockpit before closing the fuselage... and so on. So, you're not alone! And next time it'll be a perfect build. 😀🤪

Yeah, Me too on a way Off Topic Canadair Sabre build. I forgot to open the holes for the ordinance racks before gluing the wings together  ::)  Most of us have been in the position of Getting ot Done and Made mistakes. As ling as your fuselage top wasn't glued on a bit of stretched sprue can be added....if you want to  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2022, 05:36:22 AM »
Thank you for the kind words everyone! Work's been called off for today so I'll see what I can do to make it fit.

Good quote from John Quincy Adams

"Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish"
I like that a lot  :)
Zac in NZ