Author Topic: Enhancing the ribs under fabric - look or creating where it lacks  (Read 5452 times)

Offline GHE

Messieurs !

Enhancing ribs may be done with putty or even paint (see "Filling Gaps" and Ian from Doncaster etc. comments)

According to the method I mentioned for sheltering surfaces from putty via Tamiya tape you of course may use it to create / enhance
ribs under fabric or if there aren't some where they should be  (ex: Roden's Fokker Dr. I 1/32).

But instead of using putty one may also use paint: take Humbrol enamel paint out of the unstirred can and dilute it not too much;
configurate the desired areas with Tamiya tape and paint the free surface where a rib / rib tape should be; you may redo this
2-3x.
This way I think one may create very fine surface detail that might be harder to achieve using putty.

viele Grüße, Gunther
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 06:26:01 AM by GHE »
LZeppelin rocks!

Offline Ian from Doncaster

Re: Enhancing the ribs under fabric - look or creating where it lacks
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 12:47:04 AM »
Good tip Gunther, to use less-thinned paint to make raised detail, without the need to sand off afterwards!

Offline GHE

Re: Enhancing the ribs under fabric - look or creating where it lacks
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 03:52:18 AM »
I think the nice thing about it is to have good control via the use of a paintbrush; furthermore if you are looking for just a
small addition of enhancement, paint layers will be easier to handle.
- and if you do not like it you may clean of the paint with non-styrene aggressive cleaner; putty will have welded the styrene;

Gunther
LZeppelin rocks!