Author Topic: Fokker Triplane Orlik 1/33rd Scale  (Read 10448 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Fokker Triplane Orlik 1/33rd Scale
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2022, 04:01:05 AM »
o one would know it was paper if shown outside of this section of the Forum!
RAGIII
Exactly my thinking. Like I said, it just goes to show paper/card modelling can be a lot more than "cut out X and Y, glue tab A to area B"!
Zac in NZ

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2022, 02:16:23 PM »
Thanks so much, you guys.  Very much appreciated!

Bob: I'm using Tamyia paints thinned with isopropanol.  Seems to cover just fine and nothing wrinkles etc.

I started painting!  I got the bottom of the fuselage covered in a Fokker turquoise (at least I think it looks ok), masked it off and shot white on the tails and fuselage sides for the eventual crosses and tail markings.  It's going to have cool black and white stripes on the stab from Jasta 6 so stay tuned.  I also got the cowling painted an olive drab color that I hope is close to what was used in the Fokker Factory.  More soon...Dan

P.S.  For those interested or with more time on your hands than you know what to do with, I'm making a build log of this model on Youtube if you are so inclined to see some techniques an Hollywood-style videos (ha, ha)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwaa8xrlXlU

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2022, 03:28:55 PM »
Evening, All!

Here is my attempt at the elusive streaking.  I still need to put the little, tiny turquoise wrap on the bottom longeron and tomorrow, I'll be putting the black stripes on the stab/elevators along with the crosses on the rudder and fuselage.  Looking Fokkery from my perspective.

Cheers,
Dan

Online RAGIII

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2022, 12:55:07 AM »
I Love the Streaking Dan. what Method did you use? I am really looking forward to those black stripes on the tail!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2022, 03:52:36 AM »
Hi Rick and thanks for the interest... :D

I cut a little cheap brush to about 0.25 cm (maybe 0.5cm) thinking that's about 1/33rd scale what may have been used, and then I just loaded the brush and painted free hand with olive drab trying to think how a worker would have done it at arm's length.  I've heard they basically slapped it on and didn't re-load until needed so that's all an estimate.  I figure instead of faking it, just paint it like they did (supposedly) and it should come out ok.  The base is a very light deck tan color that's my CDL approximation for this.

I hope to get to that tail tonight!

Dan

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2022, 04:07:10 AM »
I figure instead of faking it, just paint it like they did (supposedly) and it should come out ok.
Good approach Dan, and might I say that from my perspective you've nailed it. Well done!
Zac in NZ

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2022, 04:19:58 PM »
Thanks mucho, KZac!  It does seem to help if I just do things as the original was made.  No guess work then!  ;)

I didn't get as far as I'd liked...got home late...but I did get the stripes on the stab/elevator.  It really pops and the crosses will really set it all off nicely.  Black and white are hard to beat on a streaky tripe!

More soon,
Dan

Online RAGIII

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2022, 01:16:34 AM »
I Do Love those Jasta 6 Tail Stripes. Yours came out terrific Dan! This is really going to be a sharp scheme.
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2022, 08:31:32 AM »
Nice Dan !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2022, 04:29:25 PM »
Thanks Rick and Alexis!  It's really starting to look like something now.  I too like a nice stripey tail. 

Tonight I masked and added the crosses.  Looking cool now.  Some touch up is needed on the left rudder cross but overall it looks good enough for me.

I'll start the wings tomorrow...Dan  :D

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2022, 05:08:10 AM »
I agree with them, she looks fantastic! Those stripes set it off nicely. Well done Dan!

Waiting patiently - but with anticipation - to see all those wings get the 93rdLib treatment!  8)
Zac in NZ

Online RAGIII

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2022, 06:36:07 AM »
Even More Awesome with the crossws in place Dan!
RAGIII

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2022, 11:51:02 AM »
Thanks so much, Zac and Rick!  I'm aiming to have it look nice next to my Roden example.  We'll see!

I got the mid wing done.  Aside from some sanding of the leading edge of the formers (there were 22 of them slotted around a flat spar) to make sure the trailing edges matched, all went incredibly smoothly.  Even the wing tips are very Dr. I-ish.  I'm pleased.  I think I'll try the lower wing next as that one supposedly has the wire inside so we'll see how that matches up. I'll get all the wings made (and the sub-wing too) before I paint them all at once.

Thanks for looking,
Dan

Offline Radarman

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2022, 03:26:10 PM »
Dan,
It looks like you’ve had another productive weekend. It’s going to be another
big winner coming from your workbench.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2022, 04:52:09 PM »
I've been missing this build, Another excellent interior work, and lovely painting with very effective Fokker streaks. Scaling the brush was brilliant.
Ciao
Giuseppe