Author Topic: Eduard 1/48 Fokker D.VIII - Polish markings  (Read 4651 times)

Bughunter

Re: Eduard 1/48 Fokker D.VIII - Polish markings
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2021, 02:53:53 AM »
Really pity you lifted up a decal, Fredrik!
I for me hate masking on top of decals, which also caused trouble on my (still not fixed) Dr.I.
To paint shadows on top of a decal I have used a "moving mask" with a Post-It.

The upper side looks great so far.

Decals and tape are a real challenge, I know. I have to look for the pink tape because that seems to work.
I have a pink one form TESA, which is even more tricky then the trusted Tamiya. Not at the beginning, but after a while is get more tacky. I'm very careful with this now!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2021, 03:14:55 AM »
Masking over decals still scares the shit out me and will avoid it as much as possible . Sucks that it happened on your wing , but you will pull through and dazzle us with a fantastic finish  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline FAf

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2021, 04:58:59 PM »
The sprayed Markings make a huge difference! Now your DVIII is quite colorful! I Love the way this one looks.
RAGIII

Thank you!
I'm just not convinced that it really was worth not using decals... the surface is completely flat, there are underlaying decals, etc. It would have been so much simpler to use the kit decals. But then again, all the red areas match and, maybe, it came out better on the leading edge of the wing where decals would have had to meet otherwise?!
/Fredrik

Offline FAf

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2021, 05:08:06 PM »
This is looking fantastic, Fredrik.  I really like the look of the wings.
I vaguely remember looking at Achim Engels website where he stained the wings of a D.VIII he was building.  It didn't look too pretty, but he said it was done like that.

Thanks Kensar!
I did a little google search on Achim Engels and came across his webpage. Lots of interesting information there and especially several downloadable books on the aircraft he's built.

If we belive his way of staining the wings, then I'm not too far off. But I think I was too careful in order to not obscure the wood decals. And maybe I should have used stronger colours?! I'm beginning to think that I have to get another D.VIII and do that one properly.

Cheers
Fredrik

Offline FAf

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2021, 05:11:28 PM »
Really pity you lifted up a decal, Fredrik!
I for me hate masking on top of decals, which also caused trouble on my (still not fixed) Dr.I.
To paint shadows on top of a decal I have used a "moving mask" with a Post-It.

The upper side looks great so far.

Decals and tape are a real challenge, I know. I have to look for the pink tape because that seems to work.
I have a pink one form TESA, which is even more tricky then the trusted Tamiya. Not at the beginning, but after a while is get more tacky. I'm very careful with this now!

Cheers,
Frank

Thank you Frank and Fvdm!
Frank, you're quite right about the tape sticking harder over time! At first it hardly sticks at all and then, once pressed down and left for a day or two, the grip has increased. I think it works best if you attach it and remove it almost directly.

/Fredrik

Offline FAf

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2021, 05:13:31 PM »
Masking over decals still scares the shit out me and will avoid it as much as possible . Sucks that it happened on your wing , but you will pull through and dazzle us with a fantastic finish  :)

Alexis

And thanks to you too, Alexis! I will try and dazzle you all... not too much left now and there is some building time available this weekend.

Cheers,
Fredrik