Author Topic: Have you purchased something you really didn't want?  (Read 3105 times)

Offline RAGIII

Have you purchased something you really didn't want?
« on: November 02, 2016, 12:50:26 AM »
I just purchased an An Model Nieuport 11 in 1/32nd scale off of E Bay. It had a buy Now option for $26.00 and change, plus $12.00 and change for shipping. Total purchase price was $39,98 US. Here is the thing, I didn't really need the kit or actually want it  ::) Just seemed like a great deal  8) Have any of you done similar things?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Have you purchased something you really didn't want?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 01:09:11 AM »
Way too often.
WNW E.IV, Eduard Dr.I dual kit, Another Eduard SPAD, Another Blue Max SPAD VII, Another Eduard Albatros D.V, and the list goes on and on...
Will I sell any of them?  Nope.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 02:07:56 AM »
Absolutely, Rick.
I cannot resist a bargain and always come away from shows with armfuls of tasty tempters which then sit in the stash daring me ever to start them.
Just recently at the Glasgow show I spent all my readies and then walked to the nearest ATM to replenish the wallet before returning to spend it all again. (Well it is the last show I'll get to this year!)

I mean - less than half price for the big Revell Heinkel, a Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire, Airfix`s huge HMS Illustrious amongst many others? But when will i actually build them?

On the other hand though, I'd been looking for a Revell 1/32 WW2 Typhoon at a good price for ages and found one on a club stand. I agreed to buy a stack of Italeri vintage cars at the same time and got them all for less than a tenner each. The cars took my fancy and I'm waiting for the spray on a Mercedes 540K to dry as I type this. A plated Roller and Bugattis Napoleon and Royale are sitting on the production line in various stages of assembly. Sometimes something unusual takes your fancy and gets the mojo going again.
Cheers, Sandy
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 09:10:20 AM by macsporran »

Offline ondra

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 03:48:12 AM »
Well, Rick, I completely understand what you mean. I am not a typical bargain hunter, but I also enjoy the feeling of buying bargains.

Btw. we Czech have a nice rule: "There is no space for money in the coffin." ;)

So yes, I experience the same, sometimes I even buy bargain kits, even though I only do scratchbuilds, just as a gift to one of my fellows - come on, it is so cheap. :)

Cheers

Ondra

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 04:44:20 AM »
Have any of you done similar things?

Nooooo, not ever ever, said he with a lengthening nose piece  ;D -

Ha I wish ::) - I do it all the time Rick especially if the price is right. Though I have tempered my temptation to 'deplete the wallet' for the most part I have long held the theory that if you don't have it you can't build it. Pretty strong justification for parting with yer cash if you ask me  ;)

It's nice to add to the collection if only with the knowledge that in all probability at some stage down the line it may get recycled for something even more attractive.

Enjoy it - as Ondra implies - you can't take it with you  :)

Regards - Tug

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 08:12:52 AM »
    A very familiar scene to me as well. Almost as bad is resisting the urge, not making the purchase and missing the opportunity, only to regret same for days on end afterwards. I find the Vendor's Gallery at the shows the worst of all, so many good deals and huge temptations! I recently walked away from a chance at the Hasegawa Golden Wings trio of F4b, P12, and P26 still in shrink wrap for $75, went back 10 minutes later and of course they were gone. Not WWI but something I always thought would be a great project and addition to the collection. :(
   And yes, I`ve arrived home and like Rick wondered what on earth I was thinking when I bought the deal of the year I`m looking at......... :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Offline ModelingBob

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 08:24:21 AM »
I have never purchased any thing I really did not want. However, I have purchased many that I do not really need!!!  :o

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 06:11:01 PM »
Usually when I do a impulse purchase it ends terribly. For example the last one was a 1/24 Revell/Monogram Jaguar E-type which, when I opened the box at home, turned out to be a terrible terrible model! Now I wonder what should I do it as even if I try to build it, it will just very remotely look lijet he real thing....
In general I try to make only planned purchases and first to read a couple of reviews, to check some builds and then decide on it.

Best regards,
Sasho
Think globally, act locally!

Offline drdave

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 06:27:37 PM »
I have 10 wnw albatrosen....

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 12:42:49 AM »
It is good to know I am not alone on this. Lance, I feel your pain about the ones I passed up! I should have raised my bid  on one of Robs SPAD XIII deals but passed  >:(  On the other hand when I was working part time at a Hobby Shop for "In Store credit", I used to buy EVERY new 1/48th scale release in WW1 and WW2 aircraft, plus 1/72nd Jets, WW2 Armor in 1/35th etc. I had a garage stacked from floor to ceiling along the walls. Mus have been near a thousand kits at my zentith! Sold/traded them and now just a closet!) I have had my purchases focused and under control but this one kind of snuck up on me. I have the Special Hobby Nieuport 16 and really have no need for an 11! Oh well....
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline DeLano80

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 03:21:57 AM »
My wife made me buy a cat. I hate that cat.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 05:12:29 AM »
Sometimes I opened a box only to find a reboxed old sprue, or got photoetchings, decals or resin for the wrong version. And, of course took duplicate colours in stead of right ones. But still I'm unable to use a written shopping list..!  :-[

Offline nmroberto

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 02:26:16 AM »
Sounds like my wife.  She'll come home with something and I'll ask her what the hell is that and what is it for. Well.........it was on sale for a lot off the original price.   My reply is "yeah, but think how much you would have saved if you hadn't bought it".

I, of course never buy anything like that.  Well other than a few crappy kits I thought I wanted and some tools I've only used once in the last 10 years.
Robert

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 04:24:36 AM »
Actually, I just bought that same Nieuport 11 kit, but it wasn't an impulse buy. I have no idea if it's good or not. I've been wanting a Ni 11 for a while but it doesn't look like Wingnuts is going to make one. If it's a bad kit I'll scavange what I can and scratch build the rest. Special Hobby also makes one in 1/32. I hope I chose the better one. :)

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 03:54:09 PM »
I like early planes, that is why I build mostly WWI and some 40's and 50's jets. So why do I have a U-boot in my collection, not 1 but 2 F-14 jets, several weird German and Allied armour kits and of all things a Lunar Rover?

because they were fantastics deals or the box art looks great. Always thinking... one day I will build it or get rid of it!