Author Topic: Next G/B?  (Read 4241 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Next G/B?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 09:42:19 AM »
I'm a very green newby and I was hoping to join the group build next time.

From my point of view it would be very helpful to be told as specifically as possible what to build, and then, hopefully, use the forum to get specific hints, tips and feedback - sort of like a mini building course!!

However, I realise that most members are experienced and would feel constrained by being too specific.

Suzanne

Suzanne,
I am glad you are wishing to join in on the next GB! Sometimes the builds are fairly Specific, like the Fokker DVII GB in 2014, and turn out to be very successful. Other times they are more generic like Aircraft with Floats and Skis and are equally Successful! Rest assured that when Des decides on the subject join in and all of the help and advice you need and ask for will be there!!!!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 09:42:50 AM »
I'm taking all suggestions on board regarding the next GB, but as like most GB's it will more than likely be a specific subject, not necessarily just one particular aeroplane but a subject that would encompass several types. I like the 'Sopwith' suggestion, there were many Sopwith types produced during WW1 so the choice of aircraft would be varied, same applies for a 'Pfalz' build, quite a selection of WW1 aircraft.

We have plenty of time though, the current GB is still running then we have the Christmas rush of new releases, we hope.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Mark

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 12:34:33 PM »
Suzanne, I was a true beginner when I joined the Fokker DVII GB and am I ever glad I did! Everyone was very helpful and I actually finished my entry on time . . . and had a blast doing so. I'm also in the current GB but will not finish this one on time; hopefully, by early next year. Even with a broader category there will most likely still be several folks building the same aircraft as you. I look forward to seeing you join us!

Mark G

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 12:46:21 PM »
My only question with the Sopwith GB would be the availability of kits for those of us with big thumbs that build in 1/32?

I just ran down the list of offerings and it's actually pretty slim:
There're the Academy and Italeri Camels and the Roden Tripe. The WnW Tripe and RNAS Pups are now OOP.
That leaves us with the WnW RFC Pup and the two WnW Snipes. And, as it is in his Chosen Scale, God alone knows when the WnW Camel will actually see the light of day.

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 12:47:57 PM »
Des, is it possible to have the end date of the current GB extended just a tad? There seem to be a number of folks who would find that helpful.

mike in calif

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2015, 01:32:30 PM »
Well, there's a lot of good ideas here, and I sort of like the Sopwith build. I have a few to choose from, and who doesn't like the wide varieties to be found in PC-10? One good point regarding a Sopwith build is some could express their inner 1920s silver paint longings.
 Wait, I guess you could with Pfalzss also....

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2015, 01:41:37 PM »
Sorry Michael, I want to have the current GB all tied up before Christmas along with the two prizes reaching their destination before Christmas. Any new GB will not begin until the new year, this will give members a chance to get over the Christmas rush.

Once the current GB ends, anyone wishing to have their unfinished build moved to 'under construction' only have to ask and I will gladly move the build, it would be great to see these builds completed.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

WarrenD

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2015, 02:39:57 PM »
Unfinished / stalled builds?

That would be ALL of my builds.  8) ??? ::)

Warren

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2015, 06:23:21 PM »
Sopwith as the GB topic sounds fantastic. This would boost my decision to start building WNW Snipe with that fabulous Bentley from Lukasz! Fingers crossed for Des to decide on this.  ;)

And I only confirm, what others wrote to Malteser - when the topic is chosen you will just have to ask for help and it will come, from many sides, also including hints, which model to choose. BTW, what scale is your preference?
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2015, 06:54:55 PM »
I'm building a Sopwith for the current GB and I'm far from finishing it. Maybe I can continue with it for the next GB if "Sopwith" is the subject. I'll have the first model to take two GBs to complete! ;) ;D

(I'm kidding, Des. I know GBs don't work that way! :) )

George

WarrenD

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2015, 01:45:39 AM »
Well, it would cause me to resurrect my stalled 1 1/2 Strutter build, and/or start building an HR Pup.

@ Suzanne/Malteser: Don't worry, these guys live to help new folks, and old crotchety ones too! Seriously, 'jine up!  ;D :) ;)

Warren

Offline Oeli

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2015, 02:57:06 AM »
Hi,

Even though I am perhaps a little behind the moon. ;)
But GB is a competition. correct? For what "GB" stands for? And what the rules are there?
As far as I could read from the Posts, an aircraft type is taken and each one builds it in a given period. Is that right so far?

Thank you for a brief explanation

regards

Jörg
Normality is a beautiful paved road, but it grow no flowers on her.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2015, 03:08:38 AM »
Hi,

Even though I am perhaps a little behind the moon. ;)
But GB is a competition. correct? For what "GB" stands for? And what the rules are there?
As far as I could read from the Posts, an aircraft type is taken and each one builds it in a given period. Is that right so far?

Thank you for a brief explanation

regards

Jörg

Jorg,
You have the Basics correct. That being said although prizes are awarded they are not always based on a "Winning" model. The Fokker DVII GB ended in a drawing for the prizes. The GB is more of a Mutual build of subjects based on a theme. Lots of encouragement and hints and tips during the builds. They tend to be very inspiring and friendly!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Oeli

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2015, 03:32:26 AM »
Hi,

Ok, it is as if we all come together, and would build a theme or a common aircraft type.
That sounds very nice and interesting. :D
As far as I could read, Sopwith seems to be a favorite.
I would agree.  ;D
There's something about WnW, one of my next favorite Models i wan´t to buy, and in 1/32. That is what I prefer.

Thanks for the explanation

Kindly regards

Jörg
Normality is a beautiful paved road, but it grow no flowers on her.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2015, 04:32:00 AM »
Hello Jörg,

GB is 'Group Build'  :)

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941